Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has provided a fitness update regarding four Reds players ahead of Monday night’s Premier League clash with Arsenal while also declaring that Thiago Alcantara is ‘in contention for sure’ to start.
Joe Gomez is set to rejoin his teammates in training today following a minor injury last week which saw the 23-year-old defender miss both Liverpool’s recent matches with Chelsea and Lincoln City.
Meanwhile, Joel Matip is still sidelined and won’t be back in contention until after the international break in October.
Billy Koumetio, however, is back in training with the squad after a fitness assessment on Wednesday deemed the 17-year-old defender unavailable for yesterday’s 7-2 victory against Lincoln in the Carabao Cup.
Club-captain Jordan Henderson represents the major setback for Liverpool after Klopp confirmed the skipper isn’t ready to rejoin his teammates in training while the Monday clash at Arsenal is ‘too early’ for the 30-year-old to feature.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Speaking during his Friday afternoon press conference, Klopp said:”Joe [Gomez] should be back today in training, Billy the Kid [Koumetio] is back in training, Joel [Matip] is not, Hendo [Henderson] is not yet either as this game is, for sure, too early.”
The other fitness area of intrigue among the media was with new £25 million [BBC] signing Thiago, who clocked up 45 minutes of PL action against Chelsea but wasn’t with the squad yesterday vs Lincoln.
Klopp confirmed that the Spanish international is ‘in contention’ to make his full Premier League debut at Anfield against Mikel Arteta’s Gunners who also have won both of their opening league matches this season.
“We will see,” was Klopp’s verdict when asked if the former Barcelona maestro would start in three days time.
“We have a few days to train and some boys have to recover from last night so we will see how we set up against Arsenal.
“I have an idea, but why should I make a decision today when we have until Monday?
“He is in contention for sure. Let’s see.”
- Rhys Williams sends emotional message to Liverpool fans
- Five things we learned as Liverpool beat Lincoln City
- Liverpool player ratings v Lincoln City
- Thiago’s arrival can help Oxlade-Chamberlain, rather than cause a problem
- Report: Liverpool have bid accepted for Motherwell’s Sam Campbell
- Edwards is right to remain patient with Harry Wilson deal
- Jurgen Klopp set to hand as many as four Liverpool debuts vs Lincoln
- Four Liverpool players who would be unstoppable alongside Thiago Alcantara
- Why Diogo Jota could have a similar impact to that of Sadio Mane
- Georginio Wijnaldum not expected to sign new Liverpool deal soon, according to Hughes
- Report: Liverpool in regular contact with Kylian Mbappe over potential transfer next summer
- Ki-Jana Hoever is Liverpool’s financial success story of the summer
- Diogo Jota is Klopp’s big selection decision v Lincoln
- Fabinho vindicates Klopp’s transfer stance following Chelsea masterclass
- Why were Liverpool able to sign Diogo Jota and not Timo Werner?