Liverpool could be set for their fourth signing of the summer after a bid was accepted for Motherwell defender Sam Campbell, as reported by the PA news agency.
Campbell, 16, has also attracted attention from Brighton Hove & Albion as well as Leeds United, who have also had bids accepted for the Scottish teenager.
Having made his Motherwell under-18’s debut at just 14, Campbell has quickly risen to prominence in the footballing world and Liverpool look to get ahead and secure the services of the talented young defender.
As he is only 16, the decision remains up to Campbell as to which of the three interested Premier League parties he opts to go for. Crystal Palace are also claimed to be in the running although Roy Hodgson’s team are yet to have a formal bid accepted.
While a move to Liverpool could indeed be on the cards, it must be stressed that there is an equally likely possibility that Campbell will choose to remain with Motherwell after the Scottish outfit are said to have offered the teenager a three-year deal to stay.
Liverpool have previously benefited from signing players from Scotland after the club most recently signed Tony Gallacher from Falkirk in January 2018. He was recently loaned out to Torronto FC.-
What RTK has to say
If Liverpool are able to get this deal over the line then it is great news for U18s coach Marc Bridge-Wilkinson and the academy.
Campbell could be set to link up with the likes of Layton Stewart who recently scored a hat-trick at Kirkby during Liverpool’s 5-0 victory against Stoke City last weekend.
Jurgen Klopp is a proven success with young talent at the club having succesfully integrated academy graduates such as Trent Alexander-Arnold, Curtis Jones and Neco Williams into the first-team set-up.
Despite their position as English and world champions, Liverpool still value the importance of youth and have proven in recent years that if you are good enough, then you certainly are old enough.
- Jurgen Klopp set to hand as many as four Liverpool debuts vs Lincoln
- Four Liverpool players who would be unstoppable alongside Thiago Alcantara
- Why Diogo Jota could have a similar impact to that of Sadio Mane
- Georginio Wijnaldum not expected to sign new Liverpool deal soon, according to Hughes
- Report: Liverpool in regular contact with Kylian Mbappe over potential transfer next summer
- Ki-Jana Hoever is Liverpool’s financial success story of the summer
- Diogo Jota is Klopp’s big selection decision v Lincoln
- Fabinho vindicates Klopp’s transfer stance following Chelsea masterclass
- Why were Liverpool able to sign Diogo Jota and not Timo Werner?