Liverpool and Bayern Munich have reportedly agreed upon a £27 million fee for Thiago Alcantara after James Pearce of The Athletic confirmed a deal was close.
The report claims that talks have accelerated since Monday after Bayern officials made it clear they wanted a deal done before Bundesliga start date this Friday.
His unveiling may have to wait a bit though, with discussions between both Liverpool and Bayern still ongoing.
Thiago, 29, is expected to become Liverpool’s second signing of the summer transfer window following the addition of Kostos Tsimikas from Olympiacos.
Liverpool will reportedly pay £20 million upfront plus £5m in bonuses based on a number of performances and trophies Thiago may win at Anfield.
So there may or may not be a little wait to find out the Spaniard’s new Liverpool squad number.
Liverpool will pay £20m guaranteed plus £5m in bonuses to Bayern for Thiago Alcantara. Player will sign a four year deal and wear the No6 jersey.
— paul joyce (@_pauljoyce) September 17, 2020
Paul Joyce of The Times recently confirmed that Thiago will sign a four year deal at the home of the Premier League champions and he will wear the No.6 jersey.
This was also backed up by reputable journalist Chris Bascombe of The Telegraph.
There is a certain choreography to this things… so it is done for an initial £20m. Could rise to £25m. He will wear number 6. https://t.co/F25FbZ5uwv
— Chris Bascombe (@_ChrisBascombe) September 17, 2020
The number six jersey was recently left vacated following the departure of Dejan Lovren to Zenit St Petersburg after the Croation international held that specific squad number for six years.
It is a prestigious shirt for Liverpool, formerly worn by Don Hutchison, John Arne Riise, Markus Babbel and Fabio Aurelio.
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident
- Liverpool’s maintained Thiago stance is anything but a failure
- Liverpool supporters react to latest Rhian Brewster development
- Christian Pulisic uncertainty hands Liverpool almighty advantage
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Chelsea
- Billy Koumetio shows off fresh new look alongside Virgil van Dijk
- Making a case for Liverpool to sign Omar Colley
- Andy Robertson has added another element to his game
- Instant reaction regarding a potential Gareth Bale move to Liverpool
- Liverpool maintaining the services of Divock Origi could be huge for Klopp
- Liverpool’s defensive woes will not concern Jurgen Klopp