Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti has admitted that attacker Marco Asensio could leave the club this summer, after being linked with a move to Liverpool.
With the Spaniard out of contract at the end of the season, the Italian told Sky Sports he’s unsure as to whether he will sign an extension at the Bernabeu or not.
“He looks good to me, so I don’t know if he stays or not,” said Ancelotti.
“Maybe he does, maybe he doesn’t. I don’t care much. We have some important challenges this season. The most important thing is that he contributes like last year.
“Let him continue as he is doing now. Then the club makes the most appropriate decision in the end.”
According to the Sunday Mirror (4/12; page 83), the Reds were keen to sign the 27-year-old in the winter window.
Ancelotti admits Asensio could leave
Whether Liverpool remain interested in Asensio awaits to be seen.
The Merseyside outfit were exploring their options ahead of the January window, and they had identified the Real Madrid ace as a potential target on a cut-price deal.
However, they instead went for and subsequently landed Cody Gakpo, who joined the club in a deal worth £37m.
This would suggest a summer swoop isn’t a priority for Jurgen Klopp’s side, but a free transfer would surely pique their interest.
Hailed as an ‘extraordinary’ player by Ancelotti himself, Asensio would be a brilliant coup for Liverpool.
Roberto Firmino is currently expected to leave the club in the summer, so a direct replacement would be of great use to Klopp.