Harvey Elliott nominated for EFL Young Player of the Season award
Photo by Robbie Jay Barratt - AMA/Getty Images

Harvey Elliott nominated for EFL Young Player of the Season award

Harvey Elliott earned a nomination for the EFL Young Player of the Season award. The on-loan Liverpool youngster has been remarkable.

The EFL announced their nominations for the 2021 awards on Monday. Liverpool’s Harvey Elliott made the cut as one of three players up for the Young Player of the Year award.

He joins Max Aarons and Michael Olise in that race, with 25% of the vote going to fans online. The other 75% will come from the EFL’s judging panel.

Elliott’s season

Elliott has had a wonderful season with Blackburn Rovers. Across 37 games (31) starts, the teenager has 11 assists and six goals.

Those are quite incredible figures for a player at the 15th placed-side. His competition for the award, after all, are both playing towards the top of the Championship.

Aarons is at Norwich City, who will almost certainly clinch the title, while Olise stars for 7th-placed Reading.

Elliott has truly shone for Blackburn, though. He leads their charts for assists, of course, with over twice as many as anyone else in the squad.

His six goals are good enough for joint-third, too. Altogether, he’s been a fantastic loan signing for Rovers.

But Elliott’s figures stand out on a league-wide level, too. His six goals, for instance, are top 40.

Assists are where Elliott stands out, though. Only Emiliano Buendia has more, with Elliott’s 11 enough for joint-second along with fellow Liverpool loanee Harry Wilson.

Beyond his years

All of that is impressive for any player. But for someone who turned 18 this month? It’s astonishing.

Take that assists stat. Only Wilson and Buendia match or better Elliott but both are six years older.

In fact, the two of them have played full senior seasons in the Premier League. This is literally Elliott’s first full campaign.

Photo by Jan Kruger/Getty Images

He’s younger than both rivals for the EFL award, too, with Elliott a year younger than Olise and three years younger than Aarons.

And once again, both came into this season far more experienced than Elliott. He’s been entirely learning on the job and consistently getting better.

The fact that Elliott is this good, this young is just incredible. Liverpool fans have every reason to be excited as there aren’t many players capable of this kind of season at such a young age.

We should say, we don’t expect Elliott to scoop the award. We think Aarons will clinch it as the best young player in the EFL.

But in terms of who’s the best relative to their age? Elliott is arguably the best in the country right now.

If he can kick on again next season, Liverpool have something magical on their hands.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know
or Comment Below