Liverpool’s title defence ahead of the 2020/21 season already seems like a campaign we are yet to experience as supporters due to implications of the ongoing global pandemic.
It poses a unique situation for Jurgen Klopp in terms of finances this summer as Liverpool have to be sensible with funds and cannot afford to lavishly squander millions on Europe’s most coveted stars.
Sustainable model paramount
Liverpool’s business model cannot compete with the likes of Manchester City and Chelsea who have both already made eye-catching acquisitions such as Nathan Ake, Ferran Torres, Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech.
However, the fact of the matter is that other clubs have to be more proactive ahead of next season as they are so far behind Klopp’s English champions.
Liverpool’s rivals have to gamble and take greater risks in terms of purchasing players as they are all playing catch up on the Reds.
Time is on Liverpool’s side and there is no sense of panic amongst the club’s transfer committee with the summer window open until October 16.
This could suggest that Klopp will alternate from his traditional approach of getting deals done early in the transfer window and will look to bide his time so clarity regarding funds can be established.
Respected journalist James Pearce backed up this particular notion after delivering his thoughts on Liverpool’s up-and-coming transfer dealings.
Pearce claimed on The Athletic’s Red Agenda podcast (06/08/20) that he expects Klopp to go against his common strategies of bringing in players early and instead will look to make full use of the extended transfer window.
“I think what business is done by Liverpool will happen later in the window”, said Pearce.
“A number of times Klopp has said ‘we need to wait for clarity in terms of the finances’. Let’s not forget we’ve still got another two months. Usually, Klopp has been one to get his business done early.
“When you look at the windows he has had as Liverpool manager, it’s quite rare it has gone down to the closing weeks of the window. He tends to get people in.”
Who are the targets?
A number of reports have already been drawn up linking the Reds with a number of potential transfer incomings.
Pearce also gave his verdict regarding potential Liverpool outgoings this summer including Loris Karius who recently returned from a two-year loan with Besiktas as well as academy graduate Yasser Larouci, who recently turned down a new contract at Anfield.
“Karius will [leave Liverpool], they are very keen to find a new home for him”, Pearce added.
“There is no way back at Liverpool for him that I can see. There was previous interest from Montpellier. Liverpool are hoping to get five to six millions pounds for him.
“Yasser Larouci looks like will go on the basis he is in the last year of his contract and his agent has said he is not prepared to sign an extension.
“That baffles me a little why the agent is trying to move him on and i don’t think Liverpool will keep him unless Larouci has a change of heart and signs a new deal.”
Klopp himself has remained firm regarding signing this summer. It is no surprise that the German manager, of course, wants to bolster his options in the market but that he also respects this might not be possible due to limited funds.
The ongoing chaos that has occurred since the outbreak of Covid-19 has had a damaging effect on football in general and is why next season is set up to be the maddest campaign to date.
- Liverpool supporters react to latest Ismaila Sarr developments
- Report: Liverpool rule out a potential move for Bournemouth’s Lloyd Kelly
- Why Liverpool spending big this summer is far from impossible
- Liverpool signing reported target Ismaila Sarr would have many attacking benefits for next season