Spanish giants FC Barcelona have today submitted a second offer for Liverpool’s Brazilian no.10 Philippe Coutinho of £90m.
Liverpool have received a second bid from FC Barcelona of £90.3m for Brazilian playmaker Philippe Coutinho. The midfielder has been earmarked by the Catalan giants as the heir to Andres Iniesta and is said to be one of their two priority targets as they look to put the Neymar money to good use.
Paul Joyce of the Times tweeted just minutes ago claiming the bid had been submitted but it didn’t take long – only five minutes in fact – before the follow up news that Reds’ fans were hoping for was broadcasted as well.
Barcelona make second bid of 100m euros – £90.3m – for Coutinho
— paul joyce (@_pauljoyce) August 9, 2017
Following Joyce’s initial breaking of the news that the bid had come in, Chris Bascombe of the Telegraph confirmed that Liverpool have rejected the bid and now “consider the matter closed.”
LFC have rejected bid of 100m euros for Coutinho from Barca. Barca have been told (again) he’s not for sale. LFC consider the matter closed…
— Chris Bascombe (@_ChrisBascombe) August 9, 2017
The fact that the owners have turned down £90.3m is a sign of the ambition around the club and proves that they’re willing to do whatever it takes to back Jürgen Klopp’s wishes ahead of a crucial campaign.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
With the club looking to build on their fourth placed finish last season, selling their best player would’ve been a ludicrous piece of decision making and with Liverpool opting out of including a release clause in the five-year contract that was signed by Coutinho in January, they know they hold all the cards.
It’s doubtful that this saga is completely over but at least for now, it’s looking good for fans of Liverpool Football Club.