You may be still digesting last night’s huge meal in Liverpool’s 1-1 draw against Manchester United, either way, we hope you’ve got some time and space for our latest transfer roundup.
We’ve reached the halfway point in January, however, the Reds are yet to make a signing, neither have we witnessed any high-profile exits. That, though, hasn’t stopped media speculation from doing the rounds.
That said, here are some of the top headlines emerging from the weekend to the present day.
Reds plot move for Italian striker
Another week, another striker linked.
Our reliable friends, the Liverpool Echo have reported, this morning, that Liverpool could be eyeing up a move for Sassuolo striker Domenico Berardi.
The report comes courtesy of Italian outlet Gazzetta di Modena, who claim that a move in the current window would be unlikely and that the Reds could look to approach the Serie ‘A’ outfit in the summer.
Berardi has recorded an impressive tally of 51 goals in 129 league appearances for the Modena-based side and has been capped at both U19 and U21 level for Italy.
And at the tender age of 22, he looks to be the ideal target for the Merseyside club, whose transfer policy targets potential over finished-product.
Klopp won’t target new centre-back this month
Just before Liverpool’s 1-1 draw at Old Trafford on Sunday night, Reds boss Jürgen Klopp was asked about the club’s situation with defender Joel Matip, in his pre-match interview.
The German confirmed, in frustration, that Matip had been training over the past week and would’ve made the first team bus to Manchester had it not been for Liverpool’s forced decision to withdraw him for a lack of clarity over his international clearance.
This story goes back to Matip’s row with his native Cameroon, who approached FIFA with a complaint, following the defender’s refusal to represent his nation in the Africa Cup of Nations tournament in Gabon this month.
Given the further lack of clarity over when the former Schalke man shall return to Klopp’s squad, Liverpool have been linked with a number of defensive reinforcements, most recently want-away Southampton captain Jose Fonte.
However, with Sky Sports confirming yesterday that the Reds have no interest in signing Fonte, the ECHO have further went on to report that Klopp will not be targeting any centre-back at all this month.
How that one pans out, we are yet to find out, though, the former Borussia Dortmund man can take courage in his side’s improved displays at the back over the past few months.
South American teenager linked
According to a Monday morning report by the Express, Liverpool have been given a boost in their pursuit of 16-year-old Paraguayan striker Gustavo Viera.
The teenager, who plays for Corinthians, has spoken out about a move to the Premier League, saying, “I would like to base my game on Drogba, I like his physicality and the power,” he said.
“But my hero growing up was Luis Suarez and people say I have similar characteristics to him.”
Perhaps that’s the real reason why Liverpool, among other English names, are being linked with a move for the lad? His similarities to Suarez?
Either way, the Merseyside club are well established with football scouts all around the world, therefore, it wouldn’t come as a shock to see Viera at Anfield.