Martin King continues his roundup of the latest transfer news with all the rumours from Friday.
There is absolutely no rest for those working on the January transfer window, for as you, the reader, digested some of Thursday’s top headlines, Friday was already making it’s own.
And we have them all here (well, only Liverpool’s obviously) in our latest transfer news round-up.
Liverpool linked with another midfielder
After Thursday served us with the rumour that Liverpool are targeting French midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko, another midfield name has emerged and this time, it’s an African one.
According to reports from Corriere Dello Sport, via the The Metro, Liverpool are interested in bringing Franck Kessie of Italian Serie A club Atalanta, to Anfield. The Reds are said to have already sent scouts to watch the 20-year-old Ivorian at the African Cup of Nations tournament in Gabon.
In seventeen games for his club this season, Kessie has scored an impressive seven goals, assisting only once.
While that does reflect good potential for a defensive midfielder, Liverpool aren’t said to be the only ones after the youngster’s signature, with rivals Chelsea reportedly seeing a £22 million bid for Kessie rejected.
Add to that the fact he is contracted to Atalanta until 2021, with the club reluctant to sell him and once again it seems that getting him will require some financial muscle and a few attractive credentials from Liverpool.
Sevilla’s pursuit of Sakho in doubt
If Mamadou Sakho is as desperate to leave Liverpool as the club are to sell him, then it looks like both parties are in for a frustrating window.
That is because, in only the space of 24-hours, yet another club has reportedly expressed an interest in the French defender, only to, apparently, withdraw it.
Following on from Swansea City, Spanish club Sevilla are said to be unsure if a move for Sakho would be the right one, as manager Jorge Sampaoli said, according to The Independent:
“I don’t know if we will modify our squad again.
“Now, I think that we won’t reinforce more positions. We thought about signing another centre-back because [Daniel] Carrico had surgery, but it will be complicated,” the Chilean said.
With Liverpool reportedly slapping a £20 million price-tag on the outcast defender, the high asking price may just be one of the factors making this transfer move “complicated.”
Either way, as was written in our last transfer round-up piece, the Reds’ under-23 squad will continue to have Sakho as an option until another side (if any at all) shows a willingness to pay big money for a man who hasn’t played even a single professional match in the first team since April 2016.
Two Reds target Forest youngster
According to the Daily Mail, Liverpool stand alongside Manchester United in showing interest in Nottingham Forest youngster Ben Brereton.
The 17-year-old has been in brilliant form for Forest’s Under-23 squad this season, netting fifteen goals in just twenty games, form which is said to have caught the eye of the two red rivals.
To add fuel to fire, The Metro have also recently reported that Reds boss Jürgen Klopp himself made a personal call, to enquire about the availability of Brereton just last week, so it would seem as though the likes of Ovie Ejaria, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn will still have some competition on their journey towards establishing their careers in Liverpool’s first team.
Reported left-back target still available?
In case you haven’t already noticed, ‘left-back’ has been a real buzzword at Anfield this season.
That is largely because following Alberto Moreno’s failure to put in strong performances in the position, Klopp took the bold move of converting midfielder James Milner to a fullback – that, despite many a Liverpool fan crying out loud for the club to sign a specialist left-back.
In many quarters, and despite Milner excelling well in his new role, that cry is still loud and clear and it has shifted over into the transfer market, where the Reds have been constantly linked with a number of left fullbacks.
After Thursday saw a familiar name in Jonas Hector re-emerge, Friday has presented us with a fairly unfamiliar name in Sead Kolasinac.
The FC Schalke fullback is reportedly a target for Liverpool and according to a report from talkSPORT, the Merseyside club have received a boost in their pursuit of him, after the Bundesliga club’s sporting director Christian Heidel revealed the Bosnian left-back will not be joining Juventus, during the January transfer window.
Kolasinac’s contract with the Gelsenkirchen side is said to be expiring in the summer and that is something that will surely bring a good feeling to Reds fans, who will recall how the last free transfer between the two clubs turned out.
Perhaps “sign him up and hope that history repeats itself in terms of team impact” will be the verdict from the Anfield faithful.
Fancy any of the above stories to be true? Let us hear your verdict on the comments section below!