Photo by Jose Breton/Pics Action/NurPhoto via Getty Images

Romano says Barcelona have not been in contact with Liverpool's Thiago

Liverpool fans shouldn’t worry about Thiago leaving to return to Camp Nou, says Fabrizio Romano, as Barcelona have not contacted him.

The Spaniard is one of the best midfielders in the world and has a crucial role to play under Jurgen Klopp this season as well as next.

His control, composure, creativity and vision were so important at the tail end of last season as Liverpool hunted down the Premier League top four.

Now, with Fabinho back fit and in the side again, Thiago can truly kick on and show why Liverpool were so happy to break their transfer model to bring him to Anfield despite his age.

At 30, he still has so much to offer and, if he can avoid any more long-term injuries, the £25million paid to sign him will be regarded as a bargain, as will the £225k-a-week wages he’s earning.

Bild reported last week that Barcelona were interested in signing Thiago after selling him to Bayern Munich in 2013, as Xavi supposedly wants the maestro to lead his midfield.

My Revenge On Ben Foster

However, this has been dismissed by Fabrizio Romano, who states that no talks have been held with Thiago and, despite rating him very highly, there are no negotiations.

He told his Here We Go podcast: “I’m told this is 100 percent true [that he is focused on Liverpool]. Barcelona have never contacted Liverpool about Thiago.

“Of course, they consider him a magnificent player, but there is no negotiation with Thiago or Liverpool.”

His first start since injury came on Saturday evening and, playing in a more advanced role, he and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain stifled Arsenal and helped suffocate the Gunners high up the pitch in a sensational tactical showing.

More is to come from the 30-year-old and I cannot wait.

Have something to tell us about this article?
Let us know
or Comment Below
LOGIN to Comment
LOGIN to Comment