Liverpool are among several clubs monitoring the situation of Aston Villa wonderkid Carney Chukwuemeka, according to reports.
This comes from The Times. They say that Jurgen Klopp’s Reds, as well as Manchester United, Manchester City, Juventus and Bayern Munich, are all tracking the 17-year-old midfielder.
Liverpool tracking Chukwuemeka
Chukwuemeka has already been fielded offers from Germany but reports indicate that the England U17’s international is intent in making his breakthrough on home soil.
The Northampton-born youngster, unfortunately, was unable to feature against Liverpool in the FA Cup third-round clash last month, as he was forced to self-isolate following a COVID-19 outbreak at Villa.
Chukwuemeka, who turned 17 in October, recently put pen-to-paper on a three-year professional deal at Villa Park amid offers from City. He is seemingly intent, then, to follow in the footsteps of club-captain Jack Grealish by breaking into the first team.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
He has already made the progression into the senior set-up under Dean Smith and has been tipped as one of the best-rated, emerging talents in the country.
Chukwuemeka is the latest breakthrough act to come out of the Midlands since Jude Bellingham burst onto the scene in 2019/20.
The report states: “At Villa, there is little doubt that Chukwuemeka will be the next big thing out of England, following in the footsteps of Bellingham and Jadon Sancho.”
Who is he?
So who is Chukwuemeka and what might he be able to bring to Liverpool?
Here is a look at what you need to know…
1) Chukwuemeka is under contract at Villa Park until 2023 after agreeing on professional terms with the club on his 17th birthday.
2) This season, the teenager has clocked up 11 appearances in Premier League 2, as well as two starts in the EFL Trophy against Sunderland and Fleetwood.
3) Chukwuemeka has been with the club since the age of 13, having been spotted while on the books at Northampton. His older brother, Caleb, is currently representing the League One outfit – he has 18 appearances under manager Keith Curle this term.
4) At 6ft 1in, Chukwuemeka has been described as a physical box-to-box midfielder, yet he has also been regularly utilised as a No.10 for the U23’s.
5) Chukwuemeka, similarly to Bellingham, has had a number of offers from the Bundesliga, including from Champions League holders Bayern.
You can see the highly-rated midfielder in action in the video below…