Joel Matip has praised the internal rivalry that currently exists at Liverpool between full-back duo Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson.
The Cameroonian defender was speaking during a fan Q&A with Sky Sports, and one of the most in-demand questions was fixated on the competitive bond between Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.
In response, Matip said: “For sure, Robbo would be the loudest. They are both ambitious.
“They always push each other. Even at training, they always want to be better.
“I think that’s the competition you need in the team to get better. It makes them [Robertson and Trent] better that they always compare themselves to each other.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
“They want to push each other. It’s great to have them.”
Both Alexander-Arnold and Robertson have been integral to Liverpool’s recent success over the years, and have successfully transformed the role of the modern full-back.
Their determination and obsession to better one another is infectious and typifies the relentless mentality manager Jurgen Klopp has successfully instilled within the players.
Last season, both Alexander-Arnold and Robertson were among the deadliest marksmen in the English top-flight, finishing behind only Kevin de Bruyne in terms of assists.
This term, Robertson has begun the 2020/21 campaign the faster of the two, clocking up four assists compared to Alexander-Arnold’s one.
The pair are expected to start during Liverpool’s bout with Crystal Palace this afternoon as the Reds look to maintain their stronghold atop the Premier League summit.
- Predicted Liverpool line-up v Crystal Palace
- Roberto Firmino sends message as Thiago Alcantara issues injury update
- Curtis Jones should have Naby Keita very worried
- Liverpool’s attacking trio finally put to bed worrying trend
- Jordan Henderson has a special message for Premier League debutant Rhys Williams
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Tottenham
- Thiago Alcantara sends a message to Liverpool fans during Tottenham win
- Jamie Carragher hails Curtis Jones following Liverpool win v Tottenham
- Report: Jurgen Klopp ready to fight for Gini Wijnaldum contract extension
- Neco Williams discusses the prospect of facing off against Gareth Bale
- Four centre-back options who are suddenly more attainable than Dayot Upamecano
- Three reasons Liverpool should consider Pedro Neto
- Roberto Firmino awaits the perfect opponents to ignite his season