There was a new face in Liverpool training this week as the first-team ramp up preparations ahead of their Premier League bout with Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park on Saturday.
Owen Beck was spotted at Liverpool’s AXA Training Centre in Kirkby just a few weeks after he put pen-to-paper on a bumper new deal with the Reds.
Liverpool have been tying down their best talent over the past eight months, and the latest player handed a promotion to the first-team set-up comes from a very famous family background.
Beck, 18, is the nephew of Liverpool’s legendary striker Ian Rush – who is the club’s all-time top goalscorer.
An established Wales youth international, Beck – who has been a regular with the under-23 team this season – initially had ambitions on being a forward like Rush having started out as an attacking midfielder.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
The teenager, however, has instead taken on a role as an attacking full-back and has put in some encouraging performances for U23’s coach Barry Lewtas this term.
Beck joined the Reds academy from Stoke City at U13 level and has progressed through the age groups ever since.
He recently agreed his first professional contract with Liverpool earlier this year and has now committed to extending his stay with the club.
His attacking qualities from full-back came to the fore for the young Reds back in November 2019 when Beck scored a dramatic late winner at Southampton u-18s in a 3-2 victory.
Rush, for his part, has taken a prominent interest in Beck’s promising career and has offered guidance where he can, but is keen to not be overbearing his progress.
Beck has similar physical characteristics to Liverpool’s Andy Robertson, and like the Scotland captain, Beck also loves bombing forward down that left flank and has a keen eye for goal.
Having been invited to link-up with Jurgen Klopp’s senior set-up – and a new deal firmly under his belt – Beck has the platform to continue pushing towards first-team recognition at the home of the English champions.
- Roberto Firmino sends message as Thiago Alcantara issues injury update
- Curtis Jones should have Naby Keita very worried
- Liverpool’s attacking trio finally put to bed worrying trend
- Jordan Henderson has a special message for Premier League debutant Rhys Williams
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Tottenham
- Thiago Alcantara sends a message to Liverpool fans during Tottenham win
- Jamie Carragher hails Curtis Jones following Liverpool win v Tottenham
- Report: Jurgen Klopp ready to fight for Gini Wijnaldum contract extension
- Neco Williams discusses the prospect of facing off against Gareth Bale
- Four centre-back options who are suddenly more attainable than Dayot Upamecano
- Three reasons Liverpool should consider Pedro Neto
- Roberto Firmino awaits the perfect opponents to ignite his season