According to The ECHO, Liverpool were encouraged by Middlesborough manager Jonathan Woodgate to make a move for former Real Madrid star Theo Hernandez.
Woodgate prior to his role with Middlesborough was working under Jurgen Klopp as a scout before he left in 2017 to replace Aitor Karanka at the Riverside Stadium.
Woodgate, who also represented Real Madrid, was speaking in-depth about his former role with the Reds – which he took up in 2016 – while talking on Jamie Carragher’s The Greatest Game podcast.
He said: “Michael Edwards was at Spurs [as head of performance analysis] and every day I was in there watching players with him – Philippe Coutinho actually when he was at Inter Milan.
“I would be in there every day constantly turning [Edwards’] office upside down and getting to know him. He was a really good guy.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
“He rang me one day and said ‘what are you doing?’. I said ‘nothing, I’ve just retired’. He said ‘do you fancy coming on board and doing some scouting for Liverpool in Spain and Portugal?’.
“I said ‘too right I do!’. I was all over that. I was watching all the games, Spanish second division, Spanish first… I was going every couple of weeks and doing four games and then you come back and watch the game on the telly and the laptop.”
Liverpool’s sporting director Michael Edwards is renowned for his role in sanctioning extraordinary deals for some of the world’s best players including Virgil van Dijk, Alisson Becker, Thiago Alcantara, Sadio Mane and Mohamed Salah.
Having taken former Tottenham Hotspur hero under his stewardship, Edwards was even informed by Woodgate that he should make a move for Spanish left-back Hernandez, who currently plays for AC Milan.
The 23-year-old defender was relatively unheard of at the time when Woodgate was working at the Anfield helm and ultimatley Liverpool chose not to pursue a move.
“I recommended a player who signed for Real Madrid. I absolutely adored him but [Liverpool] decided they didn’t want him. He’s done OK – he’s at AC Milan now. Theo Hernandez – bombs on for fun, and he’s a machine.”
What RTK has to say
It certainly would have been an interesting prospect to have seen what Hernandez would have been capable of under the management of Klopp.
At the time of interest, Alberto Moreno would have been Liverpool’s first-choice left-back which suggests Woodgate was right in urging the Reds to search for a long-term replacement.
In the end, Liverpool bought a certain Scottish defender from Hull City and it’s fair to say he has done alright since his arrival.
Hernandez is currently a first-team regular under Stefano Pioli with Milan. He has clocked up 15 appearences this season including nine starts in Serie A.
The seven-time European Cup winners are currently five points clear at the top of the Italian top-flight.
- Alexander-Arnold says Jordan Henderson is ‘the angriest’ Liverpool player for one reason
- Liverpool’s interest in Dayot Upamecano could hinge on Manchester United
- Report: Joel Matip eases injury concerns ahead of Wolves clash
- Williams and Brewster rave about Liverpool forward Harvey Elliott on Instagram
- Five reasons why Liverpool can win both the Premier League and Champions League
- Liverpool fans urge Klopp to start Billy Koumetio v FC Midtjylland
- Liverpool fans rave about the performance of Gini Wijnaldum
- Klopp gives injury update on Henderson and Robertson
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Caoimhin Kelleher
- Five things we learned as Liverpool beat Ajax 1-0
- Harry Wilson and Sheyi Ojo impress on loan again in Cardiff win