Liverpool will hand new lucrative contract extensions to both Virgil van Dijk and Fabinho in the near future, Fabrizio Romano has revealed on the Here We Go Podcast.
Van Dijk, 29, and Fabinho, 27, are both currently nursing injuries with the former expected to be out for the majority of the season following a long-term knee injury.
However, despite the fitness concerns, Jurgen Klopp has decided to tie both player’s future at Anfield for the foreseeable future.
According to journalist Romano, Liverpool will begin discussions with the pair in the coming months.
“Liverpool will talk to Van Dijk’s agents as soon as he recovers from his injury,” Romano said.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
“I expect that they will begin negotiations for a new contract in March. Same for Fabinho.”
Fabinho is expected to sign his extension first in the knowledge that he is to return to first-team action after the international break following a hamstring issue that has seen the Brazilian miss Liverpool’s previous three matches.
Van Dijk, meanwhile, is still in the early rehabilitation phase of his recovery, so Liverpool are in no immediate hurry to get a deal struck although both parties are reportedly keen to get an extension over the line.
Both players are contracted at the club until 2023 and are in no immediate risk of being lured away from Anfield, although considering both players have been instrumental in recent club success, Liverpool’s desire to tie two of their key players down for the long-term is very much understandable.
- Liverpool set to look very different once again after the international break
- Liverpool duo reveal Jurgen Klopp’s favourite player at Anfield
- Why is Jadon Sancho doing very little to force Liverpool’s hand next summer?
- Report: Liverpool have been ‘in talks’ to sign Ozan Kabak for ‘several weeks’
- Billy Koumetio back in action against Port Vale in EFL Trophy defeat
- Liverpool reunited with the one battle they cannot seem to win this season
- Three changes Liverpool could make for next Premier League game
- Liverpool target Ozan Kabak has already conceded three penalties this season
- Report: Liverpool target Pau Torres sees release clause rise by £15m, available at £59m
- Liverpool fans react to injury update regarding Thiago and Fabinho