Former Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren has sent a defiant message to the footballing authorities in regards to the fixture congestion after Joe Gomez suffered a suspected major injury setback.
Gomez, 23, is waiting to undergo a scan back on Merseyside as the club wait anxiously to ascertain the extent of Gomez’s knee problem amid fears he could join Virgil van Dijk in not playing again for the rest of the season.
He sustained the injury while training with England ahead of their friendly international against the Republic of Ireland on Thursday evening, the first of three matches for the Three Lions over the course of the next week.
England manager Gareth Southgate was quick to jump to the aid of Jurgen Klopp in regards to a lack of collaboration between governing bodies over easing the fixture load on players after Klopp and Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sent defiant messages having been unhappy with the organisation of the season’s calendar.
And Lovren, who departed Anfield for Zenit St Peterburg in the summer, is not surprised that so many players are picking up injuries this campaign and has taken action with a pugnacious message on social media.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
The Croatia international was referencing Real Madrid midfielder Toni Kroos, who this week was also heavily critical of how players have been expected to cope with the gruelling physical and mental demands of the congested fixture schedule.
“We players are just the puppets of FIFA and UEFA with all these additional (competitions) that are invented.,” Kroos said during a podcast with Einfach mal Luppen. “Nobody is asked.”
Kroos, 30, also spoke out in regards to the planned expansion of the FIFA Club World Cup to 24 teams in 2022, a tournament Liverpool are expected to be invited to participate in.
The German international went on to lambast football’s leading governing body by suggesting that such tournaments were designed “to suck everything out financially, and of course to suck everything physically out of every single player”.
- Liverpool set to look very different once again after the international break
- Liverpool duo reveal Jurgen Klopp’s favourite player at Anfield
- Why is Jadon Sancho doing very little to force Liverpool’s hand next summer?
- Report: Liverpool have been ‘in talks’ to sign Ozan Kabak for ‘several weeks’
- Billy Koumetio back in action against Port Vale in EFL Trophy defeat
- Liverpool reunited with the one battle they cannot seem to win this season
- Three changes Liverpool could make for next Premier League game
- Liverpool target Ozan Kabak has already conceded three penalties this season
- Report: Liverpool target Pau Torres sees release clause rise by £15m, available at £59m
- Liverpool fans react to injury update regarding Thiago and Fabinho