Liverpool defender Trent Alexander-Arnold is set to be out for the next four weeks following a calf-injury sustained during the 1-1 stalemate against Manchester City on Sunday – and Raheem Sterling has sent a message to his international teammate.
Mohamed Salah gave Liverpool an early lead at the Etihad Stadium following a foul from Kyle Walker on Sadio Mane. City restored parity just after the half-hour mark following some exquisite skill from Gabriel Jesus before the Brazilian striker tapped home past his fellow countryman Alisson Becker.
The draw keeps the gap between the two team at five points – although City do still have a game in hand. Liverpool go into the international break in third, a point behind leaders Leicester while Pep Guardiola’s team sit 10th.
Jurgen Klopp would have been satisfied with a point going into the encounter, however, the recent setback to Alexander-Arnold has overshadowed what would have been a good afternoon’s work from the Premier League champions.
Alexander-Arnold, 21, posted on Instagram as the West-Derby defender begins his rehabilitation process alongside an injury list which already includes Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho, Thiago Alcantara and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
The England international had played every single minute of Premier League football this season, and has since withdrawn from Gareth Southgate’s squad for this month’s international break – with England facing Ireland, Belgium and Iceland.
Sterling responded to Alexander-Arnold’s Instagram, posting a four-word response to his England teammate – while the Liverpool right-back also received a message from club-captain Jordan Henderson.
- ‘One last time’: Jordan Henderson sends emotional message to Liverpool supporters
- Jurgen Klopp will be the first to defend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Liverpool fans drooling over Jordan Henderson Champions League video
- Thiago Alcantara absence leaves Klopp with big decision to make
- Erling Haaland is worth Liverpool breaking their transfer approach
- Kostas Tsimikas showcased promising signs of what is to come
- Thiago Alcantara not involved with Liverpool during training
- David Brooks continues to prove why Liverpool were right to avoid
- Michael Edwards continues popular trend with Diogo Jota masterclass
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United