Today was an emotional day for the city of Liverpool after the Reds waved goodbye to their iconic Melwood training base.
Jurgen Klopp and his staff were on site for their last day at the training complex on Monday as the club closed the gates for the final time at the venue that has been their home for over 60 years, dating back to Bill Shankly’s time as manager.
The club’s playing staff were not present after being given the week off due to the international break.
Klopp himself was at hand to clear out his office as he prepares to move into the new surroundings at the state-of-the-art £50 million complex in Kirkby before the visit of Leicester City on November 21.
A number of high-profile players both past and present have sent farewell messages as Melwood officially closes it’s doors having been a second home for countless members connected with Liverpool over the years.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Former club-captain Steven Gerrard and his successor Jordan Henderson both took to social media to share some of their favourite memories of the iconic training ground with supporters.
Former Anfield icon Fernando Torres, who enjoyed a four-year spell with Liverpool also posted on Instagram – citing how the many stories and memories will always remain between the Melwood walls.
The club had initially planned to move into their new home during pre-season only for the switch to be delayed due to the ongoing pandemic.
- Daniel Agger sends Melwood farewell message to supporters
- Alan Shearer says Joel Matip made Liverpool more solid v Manchester City
- Liverpool fans react to Trent Alexander-Arnold injury update
- Raheem Sterling sends a four-word message to Alexander-Arnold
- ‘One last time’: Jordan Henderson sends emotional message to Liverpool supporters
- Jurgen Klopp will be the first to defend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Liverpool fans drooling over Jordan Henderson Champions League video
- Thiago Alcantara absence leaves Klopp with big decision to make