Former Liverpool defender Daniel Agger has posted on Instagram ahead of the club’s proposed move from the iconic Melwood training complex to their new state-of-the-art Kirkby home – and Steven Gerrard and Jordan Henderson have responded.
The Premier League champions enjoyed one final session at Melwood on Saturday – which has been the club’s base for more than 60 years – before Liverpool officially into their newly renovated £50 million home during the international break.
The new venue – which for sponsorship purposes is called the AXA Training Centre – sits on the same site of the club’s academy which will allow easier interaction between the first team and youth set-up.
Liverpool had initially planned to move into their new training ground during pre-season, but due to the ongoing pandemic, preparations were delayed.
Ahead of the proposed move, former Anfield icon Agger sent a message to supporters following an eight-year spell with the club that saw Melwood become a second-home for the 75-time Danish international.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Speaking on Instagram, his post read: “I almost spent nine years at Melwood and it’s definitely one of the places I miss the most.
“Not really the facilities but more the people in it. From the guys at the gate to Ann at the front desk, the girls in the kitchen, the press office, Norman Gard and of course my teammates.
“I could keep going. The place was magic. Especially for a 21-year-old boy from Brøndby”
Former teammates and Liverpool club captain’s Gerrard and Henderson responded to his Instagram post, as well as Anfield favourite Jose Enrique.
- Alan Shearer says Joel Matip made Liverpool more solid v Manchester City
- Liverpool fans react to Trent Alexander-Arnold injury update
- Raheem Sterling sends a four-word message to Alexander-Arnold
- ‘One last time’: Jordan Henderson sends emotional message to Liverpool supporters
- Jurgen Klopp will be the first to defend Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
- Liverpool fans drooling over Jordan Henderson Champions League video
- Thiago Alcantara absence leaves Klopp with big decision to make