Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson posted a farewell message on Instagram as the Reds enjoy one final session at the iconic Melwood training complex before their move to the new state-of-the-art Kirkby home after the international break.
The Reds first-team gathered together to train one last time at the West Derby complex – which has been their base for more than 60 years – ahead of the Premier League clash with Manchester City the following day.
Liverpool will then officially move into the new training facility at the newly renovated £50 million Kirkby base after the forthcoming international break.
The new venue – which for sponsorship purposes is called the AXA Training Centre – sits on the same site of the club’s academy which will allow easier interaction between the first team and youth set-up.
Liverpool had initially planned to move into their new training ground during pre-season only for the switch to be delayed due to the impact of the ongoing pandemic.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Ahead of the proposed move, Henderson sent a message to supporters as the Reds skipper conducted his final training session at Melwood.
The new 9,200sqm facility boasts three full-size pitches, goalkeeping and warm-up areas, and indoor facilities including two gyms, a full-size sports hall, pool, hydrotherapy complex and specialist sports rehabilitation suites.
Manager Jürgen Klopp acknowledged feeling mixed emotions as Liverpool prepare to bid farewell to Melwood this weekend ahead of the move to the brand new training complex
Klopp told the club’s official website: “Mixed emotions, really mixed emotions. I am happy about going to Kirkby and very sad about leaving Melwood, to be honest.
“So, it’s strange; I didn’t think properly about it so far, but my PA is obviously already moving all my stuff out of my office so I realised step-by-step that the place already looks different.
“I will miss it, but that’s how it should be. Melwood was really good, it was important – an important place in my life, so I will miss it.
“But Kirkby will be great.”
- Thiago Alcantara absence leaves Klopp with big decision to make
- Erling Haaland is worth Liverpool breaking their transfer approach
- Kostas Tsimikas showcased promising signs of what is to come
- Thiago Alcantara not involved with Liverpool during training
- David Brooks continues to prove why Liverpool were right to avoid
- Michael Edwards continues popular trend with Diogo Jota masterclass
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United
- 4 Liverpool selection dilemmas v Manchester City
- Jota has showcased why Liverpool’s front-three dynamic is majorly under-threat
- Jordan Henderson and Andy Robertson send messages to Diogo Jota following Atalanta hat-trick