Liverpool supporters were left lamenting again on the injury front after The ECHO reported that Thiago Alcantara was absent from training on Thursday evening.
Thiago, 29, was hoped to have been involved in the session at Melwood despite having missed the trip to Atalanta in midweek as Jurgen Klopp ramped up preparations for Sunday’s match against Manchester City.
The Spanish international hasn’t featured for Liverpool since he suffered a knee injury following a clash with Everton forward Richarlison during the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park last month.
Thiago had been spotted in light training this week completing a one-on-one session with coaching staff, but still doesn’t appear fit enough to resume full training with his teammates.
He has featured in just two matches since he completed his £25 million move from Bayern Munich earlier this summer while he is still yet to clock up an appearance at Anfield entirely.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Thiago’s start to life on Merseyside has definitely been a slow-burner, as he has been badly affected by injury since he left the reigning Champions League winners.
The former Barcelona maestro has now seen his early progress blighted by fitness setbacks on two separate occasions upon his arrival, which has yet to enable him to showcase his talent to Liverpool supporters over a sustained period.
Despite losing Thiago just over three weeks ago, the Premier League champions have coped well and have won all five of their matches following the events of the Merseyside derby – and they go into the clash with City top of the league table and five points clear of their title rivals.
Following the fitness setback, a number of supporters were left devastated that their summer signing could be set to miss another massive encounter for the Reds this weekend.
We should be thankful that Salah and Mane are not injury prone
— Isla Turner (@MadeScouser) November 5, 2020
Signed the perfect lallana replacement in Thiago
— Simon (@GerrardEdition) November 5, 2020
Thiago looks like he's going to be PERMANENTLY injured
— Van The Man (@DavidVaughan5) November 5, 2020
…maybe he's the one taking the pictures? pic.twitter.com/lGIdDI49U2
— Ryan Pirouznia (@RAPirouznia) November 5, 2020
We played them last season without Thiago, I believe we will be fine.. In Klopp I trust ❤️
— Liverpool's DNA ❤️❤️ (@oluwadhamendra1) November 5, 2020
Can Liverpool get a refund on faulty goods purchased?
— Shaun (@Crooksey81) November 5, 2020
How long do we have to claim a refund?
— LFCJ (@LFCJ__) November 5, 2020
- Thiago Alcantara not involved with Liverpool during training
- David Brooks continues to prove why Liverpool were right to avoid
- Michael Edwards continues popular trend with Diogo Jota masterclass
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Manchester City, Jota and Thiago to start
- 4 Liverpool selection dilemmas v Manchester City
- Jota has showcased why Liverpool’s front-three dynamic is majorly under-threat
- Peter Crouch ‘slightly worried’ for Roberto Firmino at Liverpool
- Klopp praises Alisson Becker’s performance against Atalanta
- Liverpool players celebrate ‘perfect night’ as Jota toasts hat-trick
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Curtis Jones
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Atalanta
- RB Leipzig send amusing message to Liverpool following win
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Five things we learned as Reds beat Atalanta 5-0
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Reds ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training