Thiago Alcantara was missing again during Liverpool’s Thursday evening training session as Jurgen Klopp ramped up preparations for Sunday’s match with Manchester City.
Thiago, 29, was the noticeable absentee as the Premier League champions completed their first session since their 5-0 victory against Atalanta on Tuesday night.
The Spanish international hasn’t featured for Liverpool since suffering a knee injury following a nasty challenge from Everton forward Richarlison during the 2-2 draw at Goodison Park last month.
He completed the match but later had to undergo a scan which has kept him out of action since. Thiago was spotted at Melwood last week doing a one-to-one session with a member of coaching staff although he is yet to resume full training with his teammates.
Liverpool were otherwise at full-strength with the only injury worries long-term absentees such as Virgil van Dijk, Fabinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Joel Matip, who also hasn’t featured since the Merseyside derby three weeks ago was involved and is in contention to start at the Etihad Stadium. He will be battling for a spot in Klopp’s starting XI with Nat Phillips, Rhys Williams and Billy Koumetio who were also in attendance.
Liverpool go into the clash top of the league table and five points clear of Pep Guardiola’s Citizens with 16 points from their opening seven matches. A win for Klopp would extend the difference between both title rivals to eight points.
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Manchester City, Jota and Thiago to start
- 4 Liverpool selection dilemmas v Manchester City
- Jota has showcased why Liverpool’s front-three dynamic is majorly under-threat
- Peter Crouch ‘slightly worried’ for Roberto Firmino at Liverpool
- Klopp praises Alisson Becker’s performance against Atalanta
- Liverpool players celebrate ‘perfect night’ as Jota toasts hat-trick
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Curtis Jones
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Atalanta
- RB Leipzig send amusing message to Liverpool following win
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Five things we learned as Reds beat Atalanta 5-0
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Reds ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training