David Brooks was linked with a move to Liverpool over the summer.
The Mirror reported Liverpool were considering a move for the Bournemouth attacker before they eventually bought Diogo Jota from Wolves.
Bournemouth wanted £35 million for Brooks – a figure that was deemed far too excessive given they were able to land Jota for a fairly similar fee.
Brooks, 23, only played in nine matches due to injury last season making it difficult for Liverpool to make a fair assessment of his quality before making their interest concrete.
Instead, the Reds backed off and focussed on alternate targets – specifically Jota who has scored seven goals for Liverpool in his opening 10 appearances at the club.
With that said, it looks to be a shrewd and sensible decision for Liverpool to back out of a move for Brooks.
More to come?
Brooks has failed to grab the attention of Liverpool this season, even in the Championship.
The Wales international has clocked up just four appearances for Bournemouth so far this season – he has failed to register a single goal or assist.
He suffered a minor injury during the international break which halted his progress, adding to already existing concerns on his ability to remain fit having missed the majority of last season.
Brooks started for the Cherries during their 1-0 defeat to Sheffield Wednesday on Tuesday night, and was substituted shortly after the hour-mark.
He was deployed on the right of an attacking front-three where he created two chances and had one shot on target, but could not make a telling impact on the game.
His performance followed just hours after comments were released where Brooks revealed he was desperate to make an imminent return back to England’s top-flight.
Speaking to the Bournemouth ECHO, he said: “I was disappointed I couldn’t really factor in last year, so I am desperate to get back in the Premier League and hopefully it’s with Bournemouth.”
Based on the early evidence since Liverpool pulled away from the negotiating table, so far Brooks has done very little to indicate that the Reds were wrong not to pursue a deal or even that the club should reconsider moving in for him when the transfer window opens again in January.
Despite failing to hit the mark from an individual standpoint, Bournemouth still sit fifth in the Championship table and will feel they have a real shot at making an immediate return to the Premier League.
There is no denying that Brooks is a huge talent and an exceptional player on his day – he scored seven league goals and provided five assists during the 2018/19 campaign.
Long-term, he is a player who Liverpool will likely continue to monitor although it remains to be seen if there will ever be a materialised interest.
If he is going to force his way into Jurgen Klopp’s transfer priorities, then he needs to start clocking up better numbers from a statistical standpoint.
Also, that £35 million asking-price will need to drop considerably.
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Manchester City, Jota and Thiago to start
- 4 Liverpool selection dilemmas v Manchester City
- Jota has showcased why Liverpool’s front-three dynamic is majorly under-threat
- Peter Crouch ‘slightly worried’ for Roberto Firmino at Liverpool
- Klopp praises Alisson Becker’s performance against Atalanta
- Liverpool players celebrate ‘perfect night’ as Jota toasts hat-trick
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Curtis Jones
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Atalanta
- RB Leipzig send amusing message to Liverpool following win
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Five things we learned as Reds beat Atalanta 5-0
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Reds ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training