It all started with a phone call in June.
Thiago Alcantara was on the verge of signing a lucrative new four-year contract with Bayern Munich, worth around £12 million per year when suddenly his head was turned.
We all know the story from this point after the Spanish international was informed that Jurgen Klopp wanted him at Liverpool.
In the end, Bayern couldn’t stand in the player’s way and both parties eventually agreed on a £25 million deal for the 29-year-old to move to Anfield.
Just two months after Thiago was unveiled as a Liverpool player, another Bayern superstar has been touted with a move to Merseyside.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
According to publication AS, David Alaba, who will become a free agent in 2021, could follow in the footsteps of his former teammate and seek out a move to the Premier League champions.
Alaba, 28, is one of the most highly-praised and versatile footballers in world football and is a massive presence both on-and-off the pitch at the Allianz Arena.
Currently utilised at centre-half, the Austrian international was an integral figure to Bayern’s Champions League triumph in August and would immediately aid Liverpool’s recent defensive woes after a number of high-profile injuries.
Virgil van Dijk is expected to miss the rest of the season following an ACL rupture while Fabinho is also on the sidelines after sustaining a hamstring injury which will keep the Brazilian out until after the international break.
CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, sporting director Hasan Salihamdzic and coach Hansi Flick are all big advocates in maintaining the services of Alaba, and with good reason too.
His former manager Pep Guardiola previously claimed that Alaba’s impact on his Bayern squad was so influential he is more than just your average mortal.
Speaking with Les-transferts.com, he said: “David Alaba is our God. He has already played in almost all positions.”
If Alaba were able to join Liverpool it would see two modern serial winners poached from the hands of the reigning kings of Europe. It certainly would be a massive statement from the Klopp and his Reds.
- Liverpool supporters applaud Martin Skrtel after inspiring win over United
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Manchester City, Jota and Thiago to start
- 4 Liverpool selection dilemmas v Manchester City
- Jota has showcased why Liverpool’s front-three dynamic is majorly under-threat
- Peter Crouch ‘slightly worried’ for Roberto Firmino at Liverpool
- Klopp praises Alisson Becker’s performance against Atalanta
- Liverpool players celebrate ‘perfect night’ as Jota toasts hat-trick
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Curtis Jones
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Atalanta
- RB Leipzig send amusing message to Liverpool following win
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Five things we learned as Reds beat Atalanta 5-0
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Reds ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training