Liverpool’s 5-0 win over Atalanta in midweek was a dream scoreline.
After taking an early lead and holding on to withstand the attacking threat of an Atalanta side that prior to the defeat, had clocked up 98 goals in 38 matches Serie A matches, Liverpool eventually ran riot.
Diogo Jota registered his first Liverpool career hat-trick since joining from Wolves earlier this summer. The scoreline didn’t flatter Jurgen Klopp’s team either and they could have had more had they been more clinical.
Liverpool are now just one victory away from confirming their qualification into the last-16 of the competition. This is the first time ever that the Reds have won their three openers in the competition as they now sit five points clear of second-placed AFC Ajax.
Jota, 23, celebrated the victory on social media, and his Liverpool teammates were quick to congratulate the £41 million signing who has made the perfect start to life on Merseyside.
It proved to be Jota’s seventh goal for the Reds this season – his sixth in his last five appearances.
The Portugal international more than held his own in the 65 minutes he played before his substitution.
This was the type of game Liverpool needed to give Jota a chance to stake his claim, and he certainly didn’t let the side down.
He was absolutely outstanding, scoring three goals, creating two chances, registering four shots at goal as well as completing two dribbles according to WhoScored.
Surely he has now opened the door to more starting chances, especially if Liverpool persist with the further usage of a 4-2-3-1 system.
Liverpool’s next match is against title rivals Manchester City, and it is likely following such a scintillating performance that Jota will get his chance to start against Pep Guardiola on Sunday.
- Peter Crouch ‘slightly worried’ for Roberto Firmino at Liverpool
- Klopp praises Alisson Becker’s performance against Atalanta
- Liverpool players celebrate ‘perfect night’ as Jota toasts hat-trick
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Curtis Jones
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams v Atalanta
- RB Leipzig send amusing message to Liverpool following win
- Peter Crouch reacts to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Five things we learned as Reds beat Atalanta 5-0
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Reds ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training