Diogo Jota scored his first Liverpool hat-trick against Atalanta in the Champions League.
Liverpool hammered the Italian side 5-0 at the Gewiss Stadium to put European qualification within touching distance.
Former Liverpool star Peter Crouch was full of admiration for Jota’s contribution.
Crouch told BT Sport: “He’s hit the ground running. He looks like he’s been there for years.
“Sometimes players have a period of settling in, he just hasn’t had that at all. He looks at home in that front-three.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
“The cohesion, the movement was fantastic. Took his goals well. It really was the perfect night for Liverpool. The clean sheet will do the two young centre-halves a world of good as well.”
Man in form
Jota scored his first by beating the offside trap following a Trent-Alexander-Arnold through ball before nonchalantly dicking the ball over the Atalanta goalkeeper to open the scoring inside 20 minutes.
His second goal of the night was a contender for Liverpool’s goal of the season after the Portugal international received a pin-point pass from Joe Gomez, killing the ball dead with his first touch before rocketing home. His third goal of the night came from a Sadio Mane assist nine minutes into the second half.
This was the first hat-trick of Jota’s Liverpool career and all-three goals were made to look much easier than they actually were, such was the quality of his finishing.
Jota can do no wrong at the moment on pitch and this was the sign of a player high in confidence. He surely has to start against Manchester City at the weekend.
He is now up to seven goals for the season in all competitions already, and he will fancy his chances of competing with Mohamed Salah and Mane for the honour of the club’s top-scorer.
- Why Atalanta are the perfect opponents for Liverpool ahead of City clash
- Joel Matip, Naby Keita and Kostas Tsimikas pictured back in training
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Atalanta, Milner and Jota in, Firmino out
- David Alaba rejects third contract offer at Bayern amid Liverpool links
- Reds supporters react to the performance of Xherdan Shaqiri
- Jamie Carragher hails brilliant Nat Phillips following Liverpool win
- Outstanding debut: Reds player ratings v West Ham
- Liverpool may have deadliest attacking depth since 2014
- Who is reported Reds target and Sevilla defender Jules Kounde?