Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk has undergone successful surgery in London although the club are yet to put an official time scale on the Dutchman’s return – and Reds supporters have responded to the news on Twitter.
The 29-year-old suffered an ACL injury after a tangling with Jordan Pickford in the early stages of the 2-2 draw with Everton earlier this month.
Having undergone a scan immediately after his withdrawal from Goodison Park, Van Dijk was later sent to a specialist the following day where it was deemed that surgery would be the next necessary cause of action.
The Netherland’s national team captain completed his surgery in the capital and will now begin the rehabilitation phase of his recovery, according to the club’s official website.
A time frame has not been indicated by Liverpool as to how long Van Dijk is expected to be on the sidelines.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
However, Liverpool are expected to be without the services of their irreplaceable No.4 for the remainder of the season.
Anfield sources are hopeful that the player’s mentality coupled with his durability in recent seasons are an indication that Van Dijk could still recover sooner than expected.
Speaking in regards to Van Dijk’s recovery process, Klopp said: “He’s a quick healer and a pain-coper. All these things, they help.”
Liverpool currently have just one experienced central defensive option available at the manager’s disposal in the form of Joe Gomez with both Joel Matip and Fabinho also sidelined due to injury.
The Premier League champions are next in action on Saturday evening when they host West Ham at Anfield with kick-off scheduled for 17:30 GMT.
Here is a look at how Liverpool supporters reacted to the positive news on the Van Dijk injury front…
Safe recovery Virg. pic.twitter.com/mzuyLhszuQ
— Anfield Watch (@AnfieldWatch) October 30, 2020
Rest well king. It’s Rhys time now. pic.twitter.com/dkfCTVHGEq
— Ahmed (@ahmedIdn) October 30, 2020
Get well soon king 👑 🇳🇱 pic.twitter.com/yEoTZCy1mG
— ThiagoSZN (@6ThiagoSZN) October 30, 2020
Get well soon miss you🥺♥️♥️ pic.twitter.com/FQHHUGtQti
— . (@tashaaa2000) October 30, 2020
Come back stronger captain 💪🏻
— OnsOranje (@OnsOranje) October 30, 2020
Take it easy, boss. You'll get there and we'll be waiting. 👊🔴
— Matt 🏆 (@FalseFMatt) October 30, 2020
If anyone is going to come back at a speedy recovery it’s him. Speedy recovery Virg ❤️ pic.twitter.com/KZGlHVhNCP
— Mighty Redmen ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (@upthereds0) October 30, 2020
- Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane remain Liverpool’s most durable figures
- Triple fitness blow for Liverpool as trio absent from training
- Injury boost for Liverpool as Michail Antonio expected to miss clash
- Jurgen Klopp could have a new preferred front-three at Anfield
- Haaland, Sancho or Upamecano? Assessing who should be a priority for Klopp
- Manchester United result can help Reds secure Upamecano early
- Two alternate systems Reds could utilise v West Ham
- Fans call for Jota to start for Reds against West Ham
- Klopp may have found a way to unlock Firmino in newfound role
- Divock Origi needed better service – but Reds have better options
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhys Williams and Jordan Henderson send messages after Champions League win
- Reds fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams
- Jamie Carragher’s instant reaction as Reds beat FC Midtjylland
- Five things we learned as Reds beat FC Midtjylland 2-0