Liverpool stars Thiago Alcantara, Naby Keita and Joel Matip did not appear to be in training on Thursday evening after photos were released of the session on the club’s official website.
The Reds trio have collectively missed Liverpool’s previous three matches in all competitions ahead of Saturday’s clash with West Ham at Anfield. Their absence makes the prospect of them being available for the weekend put into question.
Thiago [£25 million] and Matip haven’t featured under Jurgen Klopp since the 2-2 draw with Everton earlier this month with the former falling victim to a horror-challenge from Richarilson, which subsequently has left him on the sidelines since.
Matip, 29, meanwhile, was forced to undergo a muscle scan having clocked up 90 minutes for Liverpool for the first time in over 12 months at Goodison Park.
Keita, on the other hand, had recently returned to the first-team set-up after receiving a negative COVID-19 test when he picked up an injury during training.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Cain with the first team
It is notable to still see Jake Cain training with the first-team squad.
Cain, 19, has been included in Jurgen Klopp’s squad for Liverpool’s previous two Champions League matches against Ajax and FC Midtjylland.
Liverpool are keen to keep him involved around the first-team set-up, and it is encouraging to see him amongst the club’s array of superstars.
It makes sense for Liverpool to keep the versatile midfielder around the first team with the likes of Fabinho, Thiago and Keita all currently out injured.
Cain has yet to feature under Klopp this season, but he is there if needed.
19-year-old defender Rhys Williams was also with the first team having clocked up his second European appearance for Liverpool in the space of just six days.
The teenager was forced to partner Joe Gomez in the heart of defence after Fabinho suffered a hamstring injury that is expected to see the Brazilian out of action for the next three weeks.
It proved to be Williams’ fourth senior appearance of the season with the teenager only making his debut for the club last month.
He spent last season on loan in National League North with Kidderminster Harriers and is in contention to make his Premier League debut against West Ham on Saturday.
- Jurgen Klopp could have a new preferred front-three at Anfield
- Haaland, Sancho or Upamecano? Assessing who should be a priority for Klopp
- Manchester United result can help Reds secure Upamecano early
- Two alternate systems Reds could utilise v West Ham
- Fans call for Jota to start for Reds against West Ham
- Klopp may have found a way to unlock Firmino in newfound role
- Divock Origi needed better service – but Reds have better options
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhys Williams and Jordan Henderson send messages after Champions League win
- Reds fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams
- Jamie Carragher’s instant reaction as Reds beat FC Midtjylland
- Five things we learned as Reds beat FC Midtjylland 2-0
- Reds now have an unpredictable approach which Klopp must master
- Klopp’s recent formation change offers Minamino long-term hope
- Reds fans react as club confirm move to Kirkby training complex