Liverpool battled their way to a vital 2-1 victory against a resilient Sheffield United outfit.
The visitors took the lead inside 15 minutes after yet another controversial VAR call went against Liverpool. Fabinho was penalised for a foul on Ollie McBurnie which was initially given as a free-kick. The video technology intervened and deemed the Scotsman was inside the box once the foul was committed.
Sander Berge stepped up and cooly converted the spot-kick which totally killed Liverpool’s early momentum.
The Reds were slow to respond and were indebted to a moment of genius from their captain Jordan Henderson, who picked out a stunning cross to find Sadio Mane whose header was thwarted by Aaron Ramsdale only for Roberto Firmino to tuck home the rebound.
Liverpool were much more dominant in the second period and their efforts were rewarded following some individual brilliance from Mane to pick out Diogo Jota with a stunning cross.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Here are the RTK player ratings…
Alisson – 6
It was a brilliant sight to see the Brazilian back between the sticks. Commanded his box well but was sent the wrong way for the penalty.
Alexander-Arnold – 7
One of Liverpool’s more creative outlets and consistently utilised his cross-range passes to open space for his team. Much improved performance from the 21-year-old.
Fabinho – 6
Was a little clumsy to gift possession to the opposition before committing himself to a needless challenge. Whether or not it was a foul shouldn’t shy away from the fact it was a totally preventable scenario that the Brazilian didn’t need to commit to.
Gomez – 8
Was extremely good in possession but struggled to contain the aerial threat of McBurnie in the first-half. Was outstanding after the break and cleared everything that was thrown his direction.
Robertson – 7
Another impressive performance from the Scotland captain who was a driving force for Liverpool from start-to-finish.
Henderson – 8
Continuously drove Liverpool on and produced the moment of the first half with a stunning delivery which directly lead to the equaliser.
Wijnaldum – 7
Used the ball well and consistently looked to retrieve possession back for his team.
Salah – 7
Was a peripheral figure first-half and took time to grow into the game. Was the polar opposite in the second period and ran the opposition riot.
Mane – 7
Another player who took his time to get into the swing of things but his class showed after he assisted Jota with a beautifully weighted cross.
Jota – 7
Very impressive considering it was his first Premier League start for Liverpool and took his goal extremely well.
Firmino – 6
Struggled to get into the game but got the all-important equaliser which will hopefully inject some much-needed confidence for Firmino.
- Diogo Jota is already threatening to disrupt Klopp’s pedigreed front-three
- Joe Gomez has been handed task that could define his Liverpool career
- Wijnaldum continues to prove why Liverpool can’t let him go
- Curtis Jones could be Klopp’s 2020/21 Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Sheffield United, Jota and Matip in, Firmino out
- Fabinho and Gomez could provide perfect defensive solution
- Liverpool’s four best players against Ajax
- Harry Wilson and Rhian Brewster react to Harvey Elliott Blackburn debut
- Jurgen Klopp provides fitness update on Sadio Mane
- Deco sends message to Fabinho following Ajax victory
- Fabinho and Diogo Jota send messages to Liverpool fans after Ajax win
- Reds stars react as Curtis Jones makes Champions League debut
- Reds fans react to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Jamie Carragher’s instant reaction to Liverpool beating Ajax
- Liverpool youngsters set to miss out as UEFA pull the plug on U19 Euros
- Jurgen Klopp rightly frustrated by the media’s obsession with Van Dijk
- Henderson has more to give than any other player v Ajax
- Joel Matip has ‘a good chance’ of returning for Sheffield United clash