Jurgen Klopp has revealed he will take as long as is required before making a final decision on whether Thiago Alcantara, Alisson Becker and Joel Matip are able to feature against Sheffield United tomorrow night.
Thiago, 29, and Matip, 29, both picked up injuries last weekend following the 2-2 draw with Everton and subsequently missed Liverpool’s Champions League victory against Ajax in Amsterdam.
Meanwhile, Alisson hasn’t featured for the Reds since a training ground collision last month that has seen him miss Liverpool’s previous five matches in all competitions.
Klopp confirmed that the aforementioned players are due to train this afternoon ahead of the match which will ultimately make up the manager’s mind as to whether the Reds duo are available for selection.
When asked to provide a fitness update during his Friday afternoon press conference, he said: “So, let me say it like this with the others, apart from Ox and Virg, obviously, and maybe Kostas, who gets closer and closer but is not at all in contention for this game or the next one.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
“All the others, we have to see day by day pretty much. It’s a lot of conversations with the medical department – for who it makes sense, for who it is too early and all these kinds of things.
“That’s the time we are in with the games we have; if somebody is injured for two weeks that could mean five games and it is still not a serious injury.
“So, I don’t know in this moment who will be available. My last information was that the boys who played the other night, they are all fine.
The only confirmed absentees from the Anfield clash against Chris Wilder’s travelling Blades outfit are Virgil van Dijk, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kostas Tsimiaks with the former still awaiting a date to undergo surgery following an ACL tear at Goodison Park last weekend.
What RTK has to say
It is unlikely that Thiago will start at the weekend given his limited involvement having been on the receiving end of that horror-challenge from Richarlison.
However, if Thiago is to make the bench, this is still excellent news for supporters. Liverpool cannot afford to be without the services of a player Klopp has previously described as ‘world-class’ following the loss of Virgil van Dijk.
If Thiago is indeed fit, Klopp is unlikely to risk the Spaniard unless he feels he is absolutely ready. It will be interesting to see who will make the manager’s midfield triumvirate given Naby Keita could return to action also.
- Wijnaldum continues to prove why Liverpool can’t let him go
- Curtis Jones could be Klopp’s 2020/21 Trent Alexander-Arnold at Liverpool
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Sheffield United, Jota and Matip in, Firmino out
- Fabinho and Gomez could provide Liverpool perfect defensive solution
- Liverpool’s four best players against Ajax
- Harry Wilson and Rhian Brewster react to Harvey Elliott Blackburn debut
- Jurgen Klopp provides fitness update on Sadio Mane
- Deco sends message to Fabinho following Ajax victory
- Fabinho and Diogo Jota send messages to Liverpool fans after Ajax win
- Liverpool stars react as Curtis Jones makes Champions League debut
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Diogo Jota
- Jamie Carragher’s instant reaction to Liverpool beating Ajax