Liverpool got their Champions League campaign off to a perfect start following a hard-fought 1-0 victory against Ajax.
Nicolás Tagliafico’s own-goal proved to make the difference on the night as Jurgen Klopp’s depleted squad dug deep to round off a crazy few weeks for the club.
Former Liverpool star Jamie Carragher reacted in delight to see his former side kick-off their European season in the best way possible.
— Jamie Carragher (@Carra23) October 21, 2020
Liverpool were the better team for most of the game and weathered Ajax’s attacks.
Fabinho and Joe Gomez were particularly outstanding in the heart of defence to provide a timely reminder that Liverpool are still littered with options even in the absence of the best central defender on the planet.
Sadio Mane forced the only goal of the night after his trickery on the left-flank forced Ajax defender Tagliafico to quickly react and subsequently forced the ball into his own net.
Another hugely encouraging aspect from Liverpool’s performance was the impact Klopp’s triple substitutions made as Diogo Jota, Takumi Minamino and Xherdan Shaqiri all played a part to keep the Reds ticking from an attacking viewpoint.
This win sets Liverpool up perfectly in a tough Champions League group, with FC Midtjylland at home up next.
- Five things we learned as Liverpool beat Ajax
- Liverpool youngsters set to miss out as UEFA pull the plug on U19 Euros
- Jurgen Klopp rightly frustrated by the media’s obsession with Van Dijk
- Henderson has more to give than any other Liverpool player v Ajax
- Joel Matip has ‘a good chance’ of returning for Sheffiled United clash