According to reports from The Express, Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele is reportedly listening to a transfer offer from Liverpool amid interest from Manchester United.
United had emerged as the favourites to sign Dembele with Barcelona willing to offload the player they splashed out £135 million for back in 2018, however, a surprise link with Liverpool has suddenly come to fruition.
The Reds were said to have been initially snubbed by the 23-year-old forward but he’s now changed his mind and is considering a blockbuster move to the Premier League.
Journalist Fabrizio Romano previously claimed that Liverpool had enquired for Dembele back June.
Romano made the claim on Twitter. He said that Liverpool asked Barcelona for a loan deal with an option to buy. Things didn’t turn out as Dembele ‘decided to stay at Barcelona’.
However, reports from Spanish publication Sport indicate that Dembele’s stance on the matter has changed and he is now weighing up an offer from Liverpool.
What RTK has to say
This is a move we just can’t see as feasible and a rumour we suggest is avoided.
After all, reputable Liverpool journalist James Pearce recently claimed that the club’s business in terms of incoming was effectively concluded after the successful acquisitions of Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota.
While Dembele is undoubtedly a hugely talented player – there’s a reason Barcelona paid splashed out such an eye-watering figure for him, after all. But he’s also a hugely injury-prone player.
That’s something my colleague Alex Caple has covered here before, as this is hardly the first time we’ve seen links between Dembele and Liverpool. You can read about his extensive injury history here, but long story short, it hasn’t been an easy few years for the France international.
In hindsight, a loan deal is the only way Liverpool would have condoned enquiring into the player back in June. A year’s loan could have allowed Liverpool to truly study the potential investment before deeming whether a permanent transfer was financially viable.
Since then, Liverpool have invested £45 million in Jota which would make the case for another attacking addition this summer completely unwarranted.
As exciting as Dembele may have been, we’re glad things worked out the way they did.
- Edwards set to strike gold again following Rhian Brewster deal
- Xherdan Shaqiri reflects the unforgiving evolvement of Klopp’s squad
- Harry Wilson praised following Liverpool’s defeat to Arsenal
- Liverpool’s three best players against Arsenal
- Rhys Williams sends touching message to supporters following Liverpool defeat
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Marko Grujic
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams
- Thiago reacts to Liverpool’s Champions League Group Stage draw
- Michael Edwards set to cap off perfect summer with £50m masterstroke