The Mail have claimed that Southampton and West Hame are in talks with Liverpool regarding a late loan swoop for Marko Grujic ahead of the Monday transfer deadline.
Grujic, 24, has spent the past two seasons on loan at Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin. He has clocked up 54 appearances in all competitions, scoring nine goals and creating three more. He certainly was a big hit in Germany.
He has featured twice under Jurgen Klopp this season, appearing in both of Liverpool’s Carabao Cup games against Lincoln and Arsenal.
The report claims that Southampton could look to Grujic as an alternative to Chelsea’s Ruben Loftus-Cheek after the Saints were priced out due to the England international’s wages.
West Ham look to press on with their interest in Loftus-Cheek while Southampton have been forced to look at other viable midfield options.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
According to Goal, Liverpool had previously looked to hold out for a £20 million transfer fee to recoup four times the £5 million they paid for Grujic back in January 2016. If they are to let the Serbia international leave this summer, he will do so having played just 16 times for Liverpool’s senior team.
Crystal Palace and Aston Villa have also previously showcased an interest while Gladbach, Werder Bremen, Hertha Berlin Frankfurt and Atalanta are among other touted as a viable destination for Grujic.
What RTK has to say
Following on from his impressive performance against Arsenal, Grujic needs to show he can take it to the next level. Staying in the Premier League with either Southampton or West Ham will also give Liverpool the chance to keep a close eye on his development.
Liverpool currently have eight midfielders on the books at Anfield and following the club’s elimination from the League Cup, it is difficult to see what competition Klopp could realistically look to utilise Grujic in.
Southampton would be our preferred destination for the Serb as given his versatile skill set, he could be a direct replacement to that of former Saints captain Pierre-Emile Kordt Højbjerg who left the club to join Tottenham earlier this summer.
- Edwards set to strike gold again following Rhian Brewster deal
- Xherdan Shaqiri reflects the unforgiving evolvement of Klopp’s squad
- Harry Wilson praised following Liverpool’s defeat to Arsenal
- Liverpool’s three best players against Arsenal
- Rhys Williams sends touching message to supporters following Liverpool defeat
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Marko Grujic
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Rhys Williams
- Thiago reacts to Liverpool’s Champions League Group Stage draw
- Michael Edwards set to cap off perfect summer with £50m masterstroke