Liverpool have learnt their European opponents for the 2020/21 campaign following the Champions League Group Stage draw in Geneva on Thursday.
The 2019 tournament winners have been drawn to face Ajax, Atalanta and FC Midtjylland.
The Reds were placed in Group D alongside the teams from the Netherlands, Italy and Denmark respectively.
The group stage will get underway later this month, with fixtures scheduled to take place for October 20/21 and October 27/28.
Subsequent matchdays are scheduled for November 3/4, November 24/25, December 1/2 and December 8/9.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Liverpool will be desperate to do better in the competition this season having been knocked out at the last-16 stage last term to Atletico Madrid.
Jurgen Klopp’s Reds were desperately unlucky not to prevail against the Spanish giants following an Anfield performance that was among the best of the German manager’s Liverpool tenure.
Unfortunately, Liverpool were outdone by their own misfortunes alongside some outstanding defending from Diego Simeone’s well-organised side.
One player who cannot wait for Liverpool to begin their European campaign is new signing Thiago Alcantara.
The Spaniard is the only player of Klopp’s squad who will enter the competition as a reigning champion following his European Cup success with Bayern Munich last month.
Thiago did not waste any time reacting to the draw, making it clear he is desperate to return to action and help his new team in being crowned continental kings for a seventh occasion.
— Thiago Alcantara (@Thiago6) October 1, 2020
It certainly promises to be an attacking group with both Ajax and Atalanta among the surprise packages in the competition over the previous two seasons.
- Fabinho is Liverpool’s most indispensable midfield option
- Naby Keita lays down his biggest Liverpool marker yet
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Alisson Becker
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Joe Gomez v Arsenal
- Liverpool fans react to Thiago Alcantara training footage
- Liverpool stars react as Bobby Duncan secures transfer to Derby County
- Liverpool stars react as James Balagizi signs professional deal
- Report: Liverpool have no plans to sell Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhian Brewster future in limbo as Sheffield United reportedly stall on a deal
- Report: Yasser Larouci could be set to join Olympiacos
- Jurgen Klopp provides quadruple Liverpool fitness update
- Four Liverpool players have proved a point to Jurgen Klopp