Liverpool return to Premier League action this weekend and are looking to continue their 100 per cent start to the 2020/21 campaign against Aston Villa on Sunday.
The Premier League champions travel to the Midlands to face a Villa side who also have begun the season in perfect form.
It’s a fixture that produced one of the standout moments during Liverpool’s procession to the title last season after Jurgen Klopp’s side fought from a goal down in the 87th minute to score twice and seal a late victory following an injury-time winner from Sadio Mane.
How will Liverpool line-up?
Liverpool will likely utilise the 4-3-3 formation that proved so effective against Arsenal on Monday night following a 3-1 victory at Anfield.
We would think that Klopp is going to name an unchanged XI for the first time this season following arguably Liverpool’s best performance in the league post lockdown.
Jordan Henderson is the only real contender to break into the team but considering he is still awaiting a fitness assessment, Klopp may deem Sunday’s clash as too early for the Liverpool club-captain.
Also, considering Klopp’s midfield triumvirate of Fabinho, Georginio Wijnaldum and Naby Keita were all absolutely outstanding against Arsenal, it’s difficult to see the Liverpool boss alternating a winning formula.
Diogo Jota demonstrated his attacking qualities during a short cameo on Monday. Despite just over 10 minutes of action, the Portugal international could have left with the matchball after a number of big chances were presented to him but he did manage to get off the mark on his Anfield debut with a stunning finish.
It was a dream start to his new life on Merseyside and already it showcased what Jota can add to Liverpool’s attacking armoury. He could prove invaluable off the bench against Villa at the weekend.
Thiago Alcantara, Kostas Tsimikas, Joel Matip and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain have all been confirmed as unavailable for the trip to Villa Park.
- Fabinho is Liverpool’s most indispensable midfield option
- Naby Keita lays down his biggest Liverpool marker yet
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Alisson Becker
- Liverpool fans react to the performance of Joe Gomez v Arsenal
- Liverpool fans react to Thiago Alcantara training footage
- Liverpool stars react as Bobby Duncan secures transfer to Derby County
- Liverpool stars react as James Balagizi signs professional deal
- Report: Liverpool have no plans to sell Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhian Brewster future in limbo as Sheffield United reportedly stall on a deal
- Report: Yasser Larouci could be set to join Olympiacos
- Jurgen Klopp provides quadruple Liverpool fitness update
- Four Liverpool players have proved a point to Jurgen Klopp