It was the perfect start for Diogo Jota.
His first appearance, his first win and even his first Liverpool goal were all secured during a 10-minute cameo off the bench from the Portugal international.
In truth, Jota potentially could have had a hat-trick with the opportunities he had during a largely impressive debut from Liverpool’s £45 million who demonstrated an array of Klopp qualities in just a short time frame to encourage supporters that the Reds potentially have another special attacking talent on their hands.
Following the win, Jota sent this message to supporters on social media after the game.
A number of Jota’s Liverpool teammates including Georginio Wijnaldum, Fabinho and Rhian Brewster all sent the Reds forward congratulatory messages on Instagram while former teammate and Tottenham defender Matt Doherty also left a response for Jota.
It was a performance of intent from Liverpool, who from start-to-finish, pressed the life out of Mikel Arteta’s side, who had initially won both of their PL matches prior to their trip to Anfield.
As Jota rightly acknowledges, it was a well deserved three points for Jurgen Klopp’s Premier League champions. Liverpool dominated possession and managed 21 shots to Arsenal’s four.
It was crucial for Liverpool that they got over the line in a match that would have been nothing shy of a travesty had the Reds not secured maximum points.
This was Jota’s first goal for Liverpool and considering it was against Arsenal, is an excellent omen for the 23-year-old as Sadio Mane also netted on his PL debut for Liverpool against the Gunners and his career has turned out pretty ok since.
Next up for Liverpool is another encounter with Arsenal in the cup, and then Aston Villa away in the PL on Sunday.
- Liverpool fans react to Thiago Alcantara training footage
- Liverpool stars react as Bobby Duncan secures transfer to Derby County
- Liverpool stars react as James Balagizi signs professional deal
- Report: Liverpool have no plans to sell Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhian Brewster future in limbo as Sheffield United reportedly stall on a deal
- Report: Yasser Larouci could be set to join Olympiacos
- Jurgen Klopp provides quadruple Liverpool fitness update
- Four Liverpool players have proved a point to Jurgen Klopp