Liverpool’s transfer business for the 2020/21 summer may effectively be over following the successful acquisitions of Kostas Tsimikas, Thiago Alcantara and Diogo Jota yet the Reds continue to look at options for the future.
According to German publication BILD, Jürgen Klopp has been keeping a close eye on Borussia Dortmund starlet Giovanni Reyna, and will plan a move for the attacking midfielder next summer.
Here is a look at what we can tell you about the possible transfer target…
1) Reyna, 21, clocked up 15 Bundesliga appearances for Dortmund last season and registered a solitary assist during a 2-0 victory over RB Leipzig in June. He netted his first goal for Dortmund in the German Cup in February against Werder Bremen.
2) Born in Durham, Reyna has taken up citizenship in the United States and has been capped 16 times at U17s level for the youth national team.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
3) Reyna became the third-youngest player to feature in the Champions League knock-out stages and assisted Erling Haaland in a 2-1 victory over Paris Saint-Germain.
4) He is entering the final year of his contract at the Bundesliga outfit but is expected to sign a new deal when he turns 18 in November.
5) Former New York City head coach Patrick Vieira once compared him to David Trezeguet but Bundesliga.com have likened his playing style to that of Ballon d’Or winner Kaka, which is high praise indeed.
Would Reyna be a good signing for Liverpool?
If Liverpool are able to begin negotiations early, then there is the potential that Klopp could sign him in 2021.
The key for the Reds is whether it is a move that is financially viable given he is likely to sign a lucrative contract with Dortmund on his 18th birthday in just over a months time.
It once again highlights the value of looking abroad for potential signings, rather than paying over the odds for English players.
Liverpool have already benefited this summer from looking at bringing in young talent early after the Reds signed 17-year-old Marcelo Pitaluga from Fluminese in a deal that includes an initial fee of £700,000 according to James Pearce of the Athletic.
Reyna would be a long-term investment, one who would add depth in a position where more competition will be needed given the likes of Jordan Henderson, James Milner, Georgino Wijnaldum and Thiago Alcantara are all 29 or above.
This is an interesting one to watch to see if Liverpool decide to go ahead and begin discussions ahead of a move in 2021.
- Liverpool fans react to Thiago Alcantara training footage
- Liverpool stars react as Bobby Duncan secures transfer to Derby County
- Liverpool stars react as James Balagizi signs professional deal
- Report: Liverpool have no plans to sell Xherdan Shaqiri
- Rhian Brewster future in limbo as Sheffield United reportedly stall on a deal
- Report: Yasser Larouci could be set to join Olympiacos
- Jurgen Klopp provides quadruple Liverpool fitness update
- Four Liverpool players have proved a point to Jurgen Klopp
- Sam Campbell the latest defender linked with a move to Liverpool
- Liverpool fans react to Rhys Williams’ performance
- Jurgen Klopp picks out three Liverpool players for praise
- Xherdan Shaqiri impresses amid uncertain future
- Liverpool fans react to Marko Grujic’s performance
- Liverpool’s players react to dominant win over Lincoln City
- Rhys Williams sends emotional message to Liverpool fans