Liverpool put in a commanding performance on Thursday night as they put Lincoln City to the sword in a 7-2 victory.
One of Liverpool’s most eye-catching players who also got on the scoresheet was Marko Grujic.
The Serbian international was making his first competitive start for the Reds in three years and it was good to have him back amongst the first-team.
Grujic, 24, was deployed as Liverpool’s layer of protection as the deep-lying midfield pivot. He was absolutely outstanding and completed more passes (90) than anyone on the pitch.
He also got his first Liverpool goal after his right-footed effort on the edge of the box was too hot to handle for Lincoln goalkeeper Alex Palmer.
Subscribe to Rousing The Kop TV now
Jurgen Klopp made 10 changes to the team that beat Chelsea at the weekend with Grujic the only naturally suited central midfielder on the pitch.
The German manager opted for a more attacking blend with the likes of Curtis Jones, Takumi Minamino, Harvey Elliott, Xherdan Shaqiri and Divock Origi all being utilised further up the field with Grujic sat in behind.
Grujic has a difficult task if he is to break into Klopp’s recognised starting XI. The addition of Thiago Alcantara complicates matters more for the Serb as Liverpool now have eight central midfielders – not including Grujic – on the club’s wage bill.
He had more touches on the ball (108) than any player on the pitch and even produced two key passes – bettered only by Xherdan Shaqiri. Defensively he chipped in, making one interception and also one tackle.
It was evidence of why a number of teams are looking to chase a deal for the Liverpool man who recently spent the last two seasons on loan in the Bundesliga with Hertha Berlin.
Grujic oozed quality and was able to control the tempo of the match and dictate when and how Liverpool would begin their attacks. If an offer doesn’t come in for Grujic then there is no reason that he cannot continue to help Klopp in the domestic cup competitions this season.
He has certainly given Klopp a lot to think about following such an assured and accomplished performance.
Here is a look at how Liverpool fans reacted to Grujic’s performance.
Abt last night result
Take a moment to appreciate grujic had a fantastic game 🙏💕🔥 #lfc
— Krishna Goenka (@_Hell_warrior_) September 25, 2020
I’d love to see Grujic play in the 1st team. I know at whose expense is the question but I’ve always thought he’s a good footballer
— LFCKentSE (@LFCKentSE1) September 25, 2020
Also granted I think the quality of the players is improving, Elliott and Jones look more and more comfortable every time they play, Minamino settled, Jota signed, Grujic introduced, Shaq returning, etc.
— Carson (@WC_LFC_Torres) September 25, 2020
— Daan (@YNWA_LFC96) September 25, 2020
Grujic has a lot of quality no way we should be selling him for less than £20m could be useful option for the cup competitions although im sure he will want to leave if thats all the game time he got.
— #19 #6 🔴 (@KingMo11LFC) September 25, 2020
Grujic showing again that he would do a handy job for a lower ranked premier league team, and a nice strike from the edge of the area to cap an efficient performance #LFC
— 🍦 (@frankspeil) September 25, 2020
Very happy to see Marko Grujic get his first Liverpool goal today. If he gets sold, he absolutely must get a buy-back clause. #LFC
— Eric Avissar (@EricAvissar) September 25, 2020
Keep grujic please
— kind (@erbuenoo) September 25, 2020
- Rhys Williams sends emotional message to Liverpool fans
- Five things we learned as Liverpool beat Lincoln City
- Liverpool player ratings v Lincoln City
- Thiago’s arrival can help Oxlade-Chamberlain, rather than cause a problem
- Report: Liverpool have bid accepted for Motherwell’s Sam Campbell
- Edwards is right to remain patient with Harry Wilson deal
- Jurgen Klopp set to hand as many as four Liverpool debuts vs Lincoln
- Four Liverpool players who would be unstoppable alongside Thiago Alcantara
- Why Diogo Jota could have a similar impact to that of Sadio Mane
- Georginio Wijnaldum not expected to sign new Liverpool deal soon, according to Hughes
- Report: Liverpool in regular contact with Kylian Mbappe over potential transfer next summer
- Ki-Jana Hoever is Liverpool’s financial success story of the summer
- Diogo Jota is Klopp’s big selection decision v Lincoln
- Fabinho vindicates Klopp’s transfer stance following Chelsea masterclass
- Why were Liverpool able to sign Diogo Jota and not Timo Werner?