Liverpool may have secured the services of one of the planet’s best midfielders in the form of Thiago Alcantara, but that hasn’t stopped the transfer rumour mill from sparking out links regarding the Reds and further world class talent.
According to French publication L’Equippe, Liverpool want to sign Kylian Mbappe in 2021.
The report claims that Liverpool are prepared to battle it out with Real Madird to land the World Cup-winning forward next summer.
The Times recently reported that Mbappe intends to leave PSG at the end of this season to further his career elsewhere.
PSG do not want to lose one of the world’s global superstars as well as a talent who has scored 77 goals in 102 Ligue 1 and Champions League matches since his arrival.
Mbappé, however, has made it clear that his plan is to play one more season in Paris, effectivley allowing the Ligue 1 champions just one final summer window to recoup as much of the £165 million investment they made in 2017.
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp had previously ruled out the prospect of signing Mbappe after the club were extensively touted with a move for the forward back in January.
“Buying this calibre of player is difficult. I don’t see any club at the moment who can buy Kylian Mbappe from PSG,” Klopp told reporters earlier this year.
“I don’t see any club, that is how it is. And we are involved in the clubs that cannot do it. It is as easy as that.
“OK, from a sporting point of view, there are not a lot of reasons to not sign him. What a player he is. But it is about the money of course. No chance. Absolutely no chance. Sorry for killing that story.”
Could this change?
The only way it is even percievable for Liverpool to condone spending such an eye-watering figure on one of the world’s best players were if the club were preparing to offload any member of their current pedigreed forward trident.
Liverpool would have to recoup a significant amount of the Mbappe fee from elsewhere and this would only be logical if one of the club’s most lucrative assets were sold.
All three of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino will be 29 by the end of the season and will be approaching the final peak years of their careers.
The clock will be ticking for Liverpool if they want to get the best market value deal for three players who have formed the most formidable forward line on the planet over the previous three seasons.
Liverpool will not want any of their front-three to leave the club anytime soon, but if the Reds were to receive an offer they couldn’t refuse then suddenly the financial landscape changes entirely.
Mbappe is only 21, and is destined to reach the heights of footballing greats such as Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. Investing heavily in a player who could be a guaranteed gamechanger should not be overlooked if the funds become available next summer.
Signing Mbappe undoubtedly throws numerous financial complications, but if sporting director Michael Edwards were to negotiate a payment structure similarly to that of Thiago, whose £20 million fee will be paid in four yearly instalments, then it isn’t impossible that a deal could materialise next summer.
Some Liverpool fans have provided their insight on Twitter regarding speculation that the Reds are looking to sign the Frenchman next summer.
Below are some of the best comments:
But we do need a new striker, Firmino can do well but adding Mbappe would take that attack to another level
— Ashton (@LFCAshton_) September 22, 2020
Imagine Mbappe as a @LFC player 😳😳😳
— jft96 (@ColinFoy) September 22, 2020
The way Mbappe twerks for Liverpool is insane.
I seen enough, BRING HIM IN!!! pic.twitter.com/Eo1VS64yK2
— Nasir (@LFCNxsir) September 21, 2020
Shaq, Origi and Rhian sold. Dembele on loan for a season before we sign Mbappe next summer
Your move, @LFC 👀
— RF9 🇧🇷 (@SambaRole) September 22, 2020
If we end up announcing Mbappe with this video no player reveal would ever be topped https://t.co/62FaqZWfnD
— R8 (@Nabyllionaire) September 21, 2020
Honestly a very key point here
Mbappe/Neymar boosted PSG’s shirt sales from 127k to 800k, Nike are not going to want to lose Mbappe to an Adidas club
May offer Mbappe a financial incentive to go to Liverpool instead, and (less likely) may slightly help Liverpool fund the fee https://t.co/1UFCy3lnkT
— Carson (@WC_LFC_Torres) September 22, 2020
Would you sell Salah for £180m if it meant we’re guaranteed to sign Kylian Mbappe?
— Nasir (@LFCNxsir) September 21, 2020
- Georginio Wijnaldum not expected to sign new Liverpool deal soon, according to Hughes
- Report: Liverpool in regular contact with Kylian Mbappe over potential transfer next summer
- Ki-Jana Hoever is Liverpool’s financial success story of the summer
- Diogo Jota is Klopp’s big selection selection decision v Lincoln
- Fabinho vindicates Klopp’s transfer stance following Chelsea masterclass
- Why were Liverpool able to sign Diogo Jota and not Timo Werner?
- Jose Enrique names the two midfielders Klopp should start alongside Thiago at Liverpool
- Report: Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi turns down move to Greek side PAOK
- Liverpool agree personal terms with Diogo Jota, says Fabrizio Romano
- Why Liverpool’s reported Diogo Jota signing makes perfect sense
- Xabi Alonso reacts to Liverpool’s signing of Thiago Alcantara
- Report: Liverpool close to a deal for Wolves forward Diogo Jota
- Photo: Thiago Alcantara wearing Liverpool kit, squad number confirmed
- Report: Liverpool defender Ki-Jana Hoever set for £10 million move to Wolves
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best