Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson will miss the Carabao Cup clash with Lincoln City on Thursday and is in a race against time to feature during the Premier League champions’ Monday night clash against Arsenal.
Henderson, 30 was forced off with a thigh problem during Liverpool’s 2-0 victory over Chelsea at the weekend.
The Reds skipper – who earns £140,000-a-week according to Spotrac – will be absent from Jurgen Klopp’s squad to face Lincoln tomorrow night while Joe Gomez and Joel Matip will also miss the match.
When asked to provide a fitness update on Henderson during Pep Lijnder’s Wednesday afternoon press conference, the assistant manager said: “Hendo, hopefully he will get back next week, but tomorrow for sure is too soon for Hendo.
“Maybe (back for Arsenal), yeah, hopefully. Hendo is a little bit difficult. Arsenal will be tight. He’s hurt his right thigh.”
Liverpool remain confident that Gomez will return in time for the Anfield hosting of Arsenal, although Matip is expected to be out of contention for the next three weeks following a hamstring problem.
“(For) Joe (it) comes too soon, he will train Friday with the team – that’s good news, to be honest,” Lijnders added.
“Joel will probably only come back during the international break; that will take some longer time, some more time.”
- Georginio Wijnaldum not expected to sign new Liverpool deal soon, according to Hughes
- Report: Liverpool in regular contact with Kylian Mbappe over potential transfer next summer
- Ki-Jana Hoever is Liverpool’s financial success story of the summer
- Diogo Jota is Klopp’s big selection selection decision v Lincoln
- Fabinho vindicates Klopp’s transfer stance following Chelsea masterclass
- Why were Liverpool able to sign Diogo Jota and not Timo Werner?
- Jose Enrique names the two midfielders Klopp should start alongside Thiago at Liverpool
- Report: Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi turns down move to Greek side PAOK
- Liverpool agree personal terms with Diogo Jota, says Fabrizio Romano
- Why Liverpool’s reported Diogo Jota signing makes perfect sense
- Xabi Alonso reacts to Liverpool’s signing of Thiago Alcantara
- Report: Liverpool close to a deal for Wolves forward Diogo Jota
- Photo: Thiago Alcantara wearing Liverpool kit, squad number confirmed
- Report: Liverpool defender Ki-Jana Hoever set for £10 million move to Wolves
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best