Former Liverpool defender Jose Enrique has given his verdict regarding how Jurgen Klopp will look to utilise Thiago Alcantara after the club confirmed the signing on their official website.
Thiago, 29, will take up the number six shirt that was recently vacated by Dejan Lovren.
Capped 39 times for Spain, Thiago spent seven seasons at the Allianz Arena having transferred to Germany from FC Barcelona, where he began his career.
Thiago’s countryman and former Liverpool left-back Enrique has taken to Instagram to give his veridct on the club’s second signing of the summer following the addition of Kostas Tsimikas last month.
In response to his fellow Spaniard’s Anfield arrival, Enrique said: “Welcome to the best club in the world Thiago. I believe he is going to be a very very important player for us. Can’t wait for the next game already.”
Enrique argued that Thiago will go into Jurgen Klopp’s Premier League-winning squad as a guaranteed starter and the former Newcastle star tipped Liverpool’s new No.6 to feature alongside Fabinho and Jordan Henderson – if both are fit.
The arrival of Thiago could see Klopp revert to a deadly formation that the manager previously found success with during the 2018/19 season.
Liverpool utilised a 4-2-3-1 formation when Philippe Coutinho was in the team before his Barcelona departure in 2018.
However, it was used more recently to get the best out of Xherdan Shaqiri who thrived in this particular system during the first few months of the 2018/19 campaign.
Now that we have one of the best deep-lying midfielders in the world, Liverpool could get the best out of the squad by deploying Thiago in a deeper role alongside Fabinho.
Playing Thiago alongside Fabinho would provide the Reds with a bedrock of security ahead of the defence and will put a greater onus on attacks developing from the centre of the park, as opposed to relying too heavily on Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson at full-back.
This would also free up and complement the attacking talents of the likes of Takumi Minamino, Curtis Jones and Naby Keita.
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident