Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi has reportedly turned down a move to Greek side PAOK with the striker intent on securing a deal with Bundesliga side Hertha Berlin, according to German publication BILD.
Awoniyi, 23, spent last season on loan at Klopp’s former side Mainz having previously endured spells with Royal Excel Mouscron, Gent, NEC and Frankfurt.
According to the Daily Star, Awoniyi is another Liverpool star who is attracting a lot of outside attention after it was reported Celtic were among a number of teams interest in signing Awoniyi as a potential replacement for Odsonne Edouard.
Liverpool could be prepared to listen to offers if their £9 million valuation is met for the Nigeria under-23 international striker who joined the club in 2015.
Reputable Liverpool journalist Jones of publication Goal reports that Liverpool are willing to let Awoniyi go following a number of loan spells away from the club.
The latest reports from Germany indicate Awoniyi is drawn to the prospect of a move to Union Berlin after rejecting the chance to join Greek side PAOK Thessaloniki this past week.
Awoniyi scored just one goal in 12 games for Mainz last season but he was labelled ‘sensational’ by their manager Achim Beierlorzer as per Kicker.
Union Berlin enjoyed an impressive Bundesliga campaign last season – finishing. But with the progressive club still building, and funds limited, there are concerns whether the German outfit could sanction a permanent deal.
What RTK has to say
Putting it bluntly, there just doesn’t appear to be a future at Liverpool for Awoniyi.
Considering Rhian Brewster – one of the academy’s best prospects in years – cannot get into the team and is at risk of being sold to generate funds tells the story of how difficult it is to break into this Liverpool team.
The Premier League champions are also expected to complete a £35 million move for Wolves forward Diogo Jota according to transfer guru Fabrizio Romano, which only adds further competition in the attacking department at Liverpool.
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident