Liverpool have stepped up preparations for their titanic Premier League bout with Chelsea on Sunday.
Jurgen Klopp’s squad were in high spirits during the Friday session at Melwood with competition for places fierce among the English champions.
The Liverpool manager was asked for a squad fitness update during Friday’s pre-match press conference and told the media: “Intense week. A few little things here and there but in the moment should be OK.
“Nobody is coming back or whatever, and the rest we have to see. So, still two days to go – two training sessions – but for the moment, we seem OK.”
It was notable that 20-year-old striker Rhian Brewster was involved. He has attracted serious attention from both Crystal Palace and Sheffield United with Liverpool open to the possibility of sanctioning a permanent deal for the England under-21’s international, claims James Pearce.
Reports have claimed that a permanent sale for Brewster would only be sanctioned if Liverpool were to negotiate a buy-back option into the player’s contract.
In terms of a fee, it is reported that the club’s asking price is around £25 million.
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was the only noticeable absentee from training with the 27-year-old still nursing a knee injury he sustained during pre-season.
Training preparations were taking place practically at the same time as the club’s announcement regarding the signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich.
The Spanish international put pen-to-paper on a four-year deal at Anfield which is reported to be in the region of £25 million – £20m spread out over four yearly instalments and £5m in add-ons relating to appearances and silverware.
Thiago is an outsider to make his Liverpool debut at Stamford Bridge on Sunday after the Reds filed the paperwork with the Premier League before the noon deadline on Friday. He must now wait to receive clearance if he is eligible to feature against Chelsea.
- Report: Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi turns down move to Greek side PAOK
- Liverpool agree personal terms with Diogo Jota, says Fabrizio Romano
- Why Liverpool’s reported Diogo Jota signing makes perfect sense
- Xabi Alonso reacts to Liverpool’s signing of Thiago Alcantara
- Report: Liverpool close to a deal for Wolves forward Diogo Jota
- Photo: Thiago Alcantara wearing Liverpool kit, squad number confirmed
- Report: Liverpool defender Ki-Jana Hoever set for £10 million move to Wolves
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident