Liverpool could be set to face a Chelsea side without four first-team players, including three new signings as the Premier League champions finalise preparations for the Stamford Bridge clash on Sunday.
Frank Lampard has confirmed that Christian Pulisic, Hakim Ziyech, Ben Chilwell and Thiago Silva will all be absent from the weekend fixture.
Speaking ahead of the Liverpool clash, Lampard said: “Ben Chilwell is not ready for the game, and Christian Pulisic is not ready for the game.”
“We hope they’re training and progressing over the next week or so. Hakim Ziyech is also not ready for the game, same story. Timo Werner is fit.”
“Thiago has been training with us for the last three or four days. We are just working with him on his fitness at the moment, so Liverpool will come too soon for him.”
One player who will be a huge miss for Chelsea and offers a huge incentive for Liverpool to capitalise is former Borussia Dortmund wonderkid Pulisic.
Pulisic, 22, enjoyed a stellar debut season last term following a £58 million [BBC] move from the Bundesliga in 2019 and the forward undoubtedly stole the show for Chelsea the last time these two teams met.
The former Borussia Dortmund star came off the bench against Liverpool at Anfield back in July and was the standout player for his team despite only a short 30-minute cameo.
Pulisic was scintillating at the home of the English and World champions only a couple of months ago. He scored and assisted for his team during a thrilling 5-3 defeat to Liverpool and his statistical output was nothing shy of incredible.
According to Opta powered site WhoScored, Pulisic enjoyed a 100% pass success rate as well as winning 100% of his take-ons. He managed three shots, 23 touches and three dribbles.
How are Liverpool looking?
Meanwhile, Jurgen Klopp reported no new fitness concerns for Liverpool during his Friday afternoon press conference at Melwood.
“Intense week. A few little things here and there but in the moment should be OK,” Klopp said.
“Nobody is coming back or whatever, and the rest we have to see. So, still two days to go – two training sessions – but for the moment, we seem OK.”
Klopp’s comments mean that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is no closer to returning to action following a knee injury sustained during pre-season.
Friday’s final training preparations ahead of the Chelsea clash were taking place practically at the same time as the club’s announcement regarding the signing of Thiago Alcantara from Bayern Munich.
The Spanish international put pen-to-paper on a four-year deal at Anfield which is reported to be in the region of £25 million – £20m spread out over four yearly instalments and £5m in add-ons relating to appearances and silverware.
Thiago is an outsider to make his Liverpool debut at Stamford Bridge on Sunday after the Reds filed the paperwork with the Premier League before the noon deadline on Friday. He must now wait to receive clearance if he is eligible to feature against Chelsea.
- Report: Liverpool’s Taiwo Awoniyi turns down move to Greek side PAOK
- Liverpool agree personal terms with Diogo Jota, says Fabrizio Romano
- Why Liverpool’s reported Diogo Jota signing makes perfect sense
- Xabi Alonso reacts to Liverpool’s signing of Thiago Alcantara
- Report: Liverpool close to a deal for Wolves forward Diogo Jota
- Photo: Thiago Alcantara wearing Liverpool kit, squad number confirmed
- Report: Liverpool defender Ki-Jana Hoever set for £10 million move to Wolves
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident