Liverpool have confirmed the club’s move for Thiago Alcantara on their official website.
The Spaniard joins from Bayern Munich ready for his new challenge at Anfield.
The move was arguably Liverpool’s biggest of the Premier League era in terms of the calibre of player signed considering it was just last month that Thiago was crowned a European champion for the second time in his career.
The move has unsurprisingly received an outpour of positive responses from supporters and former players including Thiago’s former Bayern teammate and Liverpool icon Xabi Alonso.
The World Cup-winning midfielder who enjoyed a six-year spell at Anfield responded to Liverpool’s Instagram post unveiling their latest signing Thiago.
Alonso commented on the post saying: ‘Welcome my friend’.
Thiago’s own assessment of himself
Thiago has a tough task on his hands if he is to emulate the success he enjoyed during his final season at the Allianz Arena. Bayern completed another historic treble after winning the Champions League, Bundesliga and the DFB-Pokal.
Speaking to the club’s official website in his first interview, Thiago spoke about his own individual playing style and how his game can specifically aid his new Liverpool team.
He said: “First off, for sure I think I must adapt to the team as fast as I can in the situation and the context that we are living right now.
“Everything is more compact and we started a little bit later, but still it is football and I think we have to mix all the big things up, all the good things we have. I will help the team in a defensive and offensive [way] and also in a mental aspect.”
Liverpool’s signing of Thiago represents the club’s highest-profile addition since Alisson Becker signed from AS Roma two years ago.
It signifies a statement of intent from the Premier League champions, who prior to the signing of Thiago, had previously spent just £23 million on signings over the previous four transfer windows.
In the form of Thiago, Liverpool have signed a superstar who is among the best in the world in his particular position.
Even at 29, Liverpool signing Thiago on a four-year contract ensures they have secured the services of a player who will enjoy the final peak years of his career at Anfield.
The Spaniard has won an incredible 23 honours at club level and will link up with his new teammates off the back of recently being crowned a Champions League winner for the second time in his career.
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident