Another Michael Edwards masterstroke in the transfer market could be imminent after it was reported that Wolves are set to sign Liverpool defender Ki-Jana Hoever for a fee of around £10 million, claim The Mail.
Hoever, 18, has clocked up four appearances under manager Jurgen Klopp in the domestic cups, he is also capped at youth level for the Dutch national team.
The teenager recently became Liverpool’s youngest-ever debutant at 16 in the FA Cup after he came off the bench during a 2-1 defeat to Wolves back in January 2019.
He scored his first goal for the club last season during a 2-0 victory against MK Dons in the Carabao Cup back in September 2019.
Hoever – who joined the Reds from Ajax back in 2018 – signed a long-term contract at Liverpool last summer and there were previously reports that the defender could be braced for a loan spell away from Merseyside.
However, according to The Mail, he is now set to join Wolves on a permanent deal after terms were reportedly agreed between the two clubs.
— James Pearce (@JamesPearceLFC) September 18, 2020
The report was also backed up by reputable Liverpool journalist James Pearce, who broke the news on Thursday that a deal had been agreed between Liverpool and Bayern Munich regarding the transfer of Thiago Alcantara.
Wolves recently sold full-back Matt Doherty to Tottenham in a £15 million deal, and Hoever has been identified as a viable replacement given he can operate at both right-back and central defence.
What RTK has to say
The sales have already started following Liverpool’s reported capture of Thiago.
It could prove to be a good move for Hoever, who will be desperate for more opportunities at senior level.
Wolves captain Connor Coady, who graduated from Liverpool’s academy system, has blossomed since his departure from the club in 2014, and the England international’s incredible rise in the professional game could be a huge motivation factor for Hoever.
Opportunities have been limited for the young Dutchman at Liverpool and following the recent impact of talented 17-year-old defender Billy Koumetio – who recently made Klopp’s Community Shield squad over Hoever – may now feel as though a pathway into the first-team just isn’t viable at this present moment.
If Liverpool can strike an eight-figure sum for a player who the club signed for £90,000 just two years ago and someone who is yet to make his Premier League debut, then it will prove to be yet another coup from the club’s outstanding sporting director Edwards.
- Thiago transfer price keeps Liverpool’s door open for more transfers
- Thiago deal ensures Liverpool have two of the Bundesliga’s best
- Liverpool fans react to reports regarding Watford’s Ismaila Sarr
- Who Liverpool can and cannot draw in the Champions League group stage
- Report: Nathaniel Clyne to begin training with Crystal Palace
- Henderson is the big winner from Liverpool’s reported Thiago deal
- Four attacking alternatives Liverpool could sign following reported Rhian Brewster sale
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confirms Thiago Alcantara Liverpool deal
- Liverpool’s reported Thiago Alcantara deal is their biggest of the PL era
- Squad number detailed for Thiago Alcantara at Liverpool
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident