Liverpool are reportedly on the verge of signing Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara after a deal in the region of €30 million (£27 million) was agreed upon by the two European heavyweights, claims James Pearce of The Athletic.
The report claims that talks have accelerated since Monday after Bayern officials made it clear they wanted a deal done before Bundesliga start date this Friday.
Both clubs have reportedly agreed-upon a price and the deal is ‘likely’ to happen soon.
Liverpool have been persistently linked with the Spanish international since the beginning of the transfer window and the Reds have finally accelerated their interest after taking stock of the post-pandemic financial landscape.
Transfer guru Fabrizio Romano also confirmed that Thiago and Liverpool is practically a ‘done deal’ with the former Barcelona maestro finally getting his desired move to Anfield.
Thiago Alcantara to Liverpool will be a ‘done deal’ soon – as per @TheAthleticUK info.
Bayern Münich always asked for €30m as price tag and they’re gonna get it. Liverpool accepted to pay after Klopp pushing to get Thiago. Personal terms will be ok on next few hours. 🔴 #LFC
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) September 17, 2020
Thiago is expected to become Liverpool’s second signing of the summer transfer window following the addition of Kostos Tsimikas from Olympiacos last month.
Thiago Alcantara: Player Profile
- Champions League winner – Thiago played a key role in Bayern’s stunning Champions League victory this season, which saw the German champions dismantle the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea, Tottenham and RB Leipzig upon their route to the final.
- World-class midfielder: Across the last five to seven years, Thiago has firmly established himself as one of the best midfielders in world football and his Anfield arrival would undoubtedly be one of the biggest statements from any club this summer.
- He’s a winner – Following Liverpool renowned status as serial winners in their own right, it is only fitting that the club should be linked with the calibre of player that fits with the club’s ruthless mentality towards winning. Thiago would certainly fit the bill. The former Barcelona maestro has seven Bundesliga and two La Liga titles to his expansive CV as well as a Champions League and Club World Cup triumph in 2011. Liverpool require additions that understand what it means to win. If Thiago were to join the club will have gained another continental conquerer who will immediately understand what is expected of him.
- Vast experience – In football, age isn’t everything and on a few occasions, experience has successfully taken precedence over promised talent. Thiago not only has experience but he has continuously proved himself in two of Europe’s most dominant forces over the past 15 years.He has 331 appearances for both Barcelona and Bayern as well as 21 honours at club level. Thiago has the knowledge and the reason to justify that he would be an instant hit at yet another of Europe’s superpower clubs.
- Naby Keita could be the next beneficiary of Klopp’s favoured midfield trident
- Liverpool’s maintained Thiago stance is anything but a failure
- Liverpool supporters react to latest Rhian Brewster development
- Christian Pulisic uncertainty hands Liverpool almighty advantage
- Predicted Liverpool XI v Chelsea
- Billy Koumetio shows off fresh new look alongside Virgil van Dijk
- Making a case for Liverpool to sign Omar Colley
- Andy Robertson has added another element to his game
- Instant reaction regarding a potential Gareth Bale move to Liverpool
- Liverpool maintaining the services of Divock Origi could be huge for Klopp
- Liverpool’s defensive woes will not concern Jurgen Klopp