Liverpool forward Xherdan Shaqiri was among the group of players finalising preparations for the beginning of the club’s upcoming title defence against Leeds United at Anfield on Saturday.
Shaqiri, 28, was back at Melwood on Thursday as the Premier League champions gear-up for their inaugural league bout of the season against Marcelo Bielsa’s newly-promoted side.
The Switzerland international had previously been absent due to a knock sustained during Liverpool’s recent pre-season training camp in Austria.
Shaqiri is one of a number of players who have been touted with a potential Anfield exit as Jurgen Klopp looks to raise additional funds to help aid the financial impact amid the global pandemic.
According to The ECHO, Liverpool have been open to the sale of winger Xherdan Shaqiri since January.
Shaqiri is currently contracted at the club until 2023 but recent reports indicate that the former Stoke City forward has been identified by the club as a viable route improve the club’s financial position.
The Independent followed up the report with claims that despite Shaqiri at risk of an exit, the player himself is showcasing no desire to leave Anfield this summer.
Liverpool were forced to turn down approaches from both Roma and Sevilla earlier this year, as the club were not willing to sell one of their players during a crucial period in the season but did indicate they would be willing to listen to offers come the summer [BBC].
Shaqiri was pictured for the first time at Liverpool’s Melwood training camp since nursing an injury that saw him miss the club’s Community Shield defeat to Arsenal.
Whether he stays or goes before the October 5 deadline, it was encouraging to see Shaqiri back on the field as given Liverpool’s already limited number of attacking deputies, the former Bayern Munich prodigy could still play a vital role for the team next season.
Awoniyi also involved
Another player who was pictured among Liverpool’s Thursday session was striker Taiwo Awoniyi.
Awoniyi, 23, spent last season on loan at Klopp’s former side Mainz having previously endured spells with Royal Excel Mouscron, Gent, NEC and Frankfurt.
According to the Daily Star, Awoniyi is another Liverpool star who is attracting a lot of outside attention after it was reported Celtic were among a number of teams interest in signing Awoniyi as a potential replacement for Odsonne Edouard.
Liverpool could be prepared to listen to offers if their £9 million valuation is met for the Nigeria under-23 international striker.
Reputable Liverpool journalist Jones of publication Goal reports that Liverpool are willing to let Awoniyi go following a number of loan spells away from the club.
- Curtis Jones is set to become Liverpool’s ultimate game-changer
- Report: Wijnaldum confirms his intentions are to stay at Liverpool
- Liverpool linked striker Daka scores four goals in 10-0 win
- Jurgen Klopp’s swipe at Chelsea indicates why Liverpool hold advantage
- Liverpool’s summer will be defined by Thiago and Wijnaldum resolution
- Report: Rhian Brewster could return to Swansea on loan next season
- Dejan Lovren responds to Jordan Henderson’s emotional farewell gesture
- Liverpool could be set for final instalment of Coutinho Barcelona fee
- Liverpool have to make Wijnaldum decision fast and stick with it
- Report: Deal agreed between Liverpool and Fluminese for Marcelo Pitaluga
- Romano confirms Barcelona still yet to bid for Liverpool star Wijnaldum
- Who is reported Liverpool target Jeremy Doku?