Georginio Wijnaldum has posted on social media for the first time since the Liverpool midfielder enjoyed positive talks with manager Jurgen Klopp on Wednesday.
Wijnaldum, 29, met with the German boss to discuss his future at the club amid growing interest from Spain and Barcelona.
According to Sky Sports, Wijnaldum revealed to Klopp that he does indeed want to remain at Liverpool and hopes that negotiations regarding a contract extension can be agreed as a result of the positive conversation.
Wijnaldum recently entered the final year of his current contract with the Reds and there has yet to be any indication as to whether the former Newcastle United star will be offered a new one.
Liverpool and Wijnaldum will begin their Premier League defence at the weekend as the English champions prepare for Saturday’s Anfield meeting with newly-promoted Leeds United.
Ahead of the game, Wijnaldum shared a picture of himself alongside Liverpool teammates Jordan Henderson and Andy Robertson during a training session at Melwood as the team finalise preparations the 2020/21 campaign begins tomorrow.
Wijnaldum is likely to start for the Reds against Marcelo Bielsa’s team at the weekend given the Dutchman was a regular feature for Liverpool during pre-season and is well-rested having featured twice for his country during the international break.
Klopp is expected still to make a late call on whether club-captain Jordan Henderson is ready to start on Saturday after the boss revealed he hasn’t decided on the team for the weekend just yet.
When asked for a fitness update – and specifically, regarding Henderson, Shaqiri and summer signing Kostas Tsimikas, at his pre-match press conference, Klopp said: “Not finally decided yet.
“They are all in training pretty much, all of them. So we will make late decisions about that, but it looks rather promising than not.
“But we have in the moment a lot of players available, here in training. They all came back now, so not all of them will be involved even if they could be involved, that’s the situation.”
- Curtis Jones is set to become Liverpool’s ultimate game-changer
- Report: Wijnaldum confirms his intentions are to stay at Liverpool
- Liverpool linked striker Daka scores four goals in 10-0 win
- Jurgen Klopp’s swipe at Chelsea indicates why Liverpool hold advantage
- Liverpool’s summer will be defined by Thiago and Wijnaldum resolution
- Report: Rhian Brewster could return to Swansea on loan next season
- Dejan Lovren responds to Jordan Henderson’s emotional farewell gesture
- Liverpool could be set for final instalment of Coutinho Barcelona fee
- Liverpool have to make Wijnaldum decision fast and stick with it
- Report: Deal agreed between Liverpool and Fluminese for Marcelo Pitaluga
- Romano confirms Barcelona still yet to bid for Liverpool star Wijnaldum
- Who is reported Liverpool target Jeremy Doku?