Liverpool supporters have showcased their delight on Twitter for teenager Neco Williams who marked his full-competitive home debut for the Wales national team with a 94th minute-winning goal in the Nations League against Bulgaria.
Williams, 19, came off the bench for Ryan Giggs’ side to head home a stunning late winner to make it two wins from two as Wales maintained a 100 per cent start to their Nations League campaign.
The Liverpool right-back was given the call-up to his national side following an impressive finish to the Reds’ Premier League-winning campaign last season.
Williams clocked up six senior league appearances under Jurgen Klopp last season effectively establishing himself as a long term option to provide much needed cover to the world’s best right-back Trent Alexander-Arnold.
It meant Liverpool could resist the urge to spend heavily in that particular area of the squad in this summer’s transfer market and instead the club opted to reward Williams’ impact on the team with a new-and-improved long-term contract extension.
Williams’ dream home debut could quickly follow with a potential start for the Reds against Leeds United at Anfield next Saturday during Liverpool’s inaugural fixture of the 2020/21 campaign.
Klopp could look to utilise the academy graduate as opposed to Alexander-Arnold who effectively missed the majority of Liverpool’s pre-season programme through injury.
Alexander-Arnold did feature for England during yesterday’s 1-0 victory over Iceland yet Klopp may be tempted to potentially introduce the Premier League Young Player of the Year from the bench as opposed to throwing him in from the start.
Williams has proven himself more than a capable deputy in recent months and following on from his first goal for his country, it could see a rise in confidence that springboards the Wrexham-born youngster to new heights next season.
Following Williams’ moment of sheer ecstasy, many Liverpool took to social media to congratulate the man-of-the-moment who will look to kick on again under Klopp next season.
Here are a selection of responses following what could only be described as a moment where a boyhood dream became a reality …
The second best RB in the world after Trent 👏🏻
— Jürgen Meister🇩🇪 (@SS_LFC) September 6, 2020
Neco Williams is not a RB! Period. Play him as a forward! 😎
— Salman (@Sak_LFC) September 6, 2020
Neco Williams scoring a last min winner? What a baller
— KD (@LFCKieran96) September 6, 2020
Neco Williams has more Goals (1) for Wales than AWB has caps 😂 (0)
— MattLFC (@MattLFC0) September 6, 2020
Neco Williams is clear of any other youth right back in the league 🤝
— LFC Bantz • FPL (@bantz_lfc) September 6, 2020
— Champions of England! (@issam_LFC) September 6, 2020
Absolutely buzzing for him 🙌🙌
— AJMcfarlane (@AJMcfarlane01) September 6, 2020
Our future is bright
— kenyan kop[Y.w.N.w.A🎯] (@Kenyankop) September 6, 2020
- Minamino looks a man possessed following latest Liverpool masterclass
- Liverpool supporters react to the performance of Joel Matip
- RTK view: Liverpool striker could open up route to Odsonne Edouard
- Jurgen Klopp provides injury update on Jordan Henderson
- Harvey Elliott devotes his first Liverpool goal to family member during 7-2 win
- Even at £20 million, Harry Wilson presents a real bargain
- Who is the latest Red Bull prodigy being linked with a move to Liverpool?
- Liverpool and Michael Edwards vindicated in reported Jamal Lewis deal
- Roberto Firmino has given Jurgen Klopp an impossible task
- Liverpool’s summer priority will be Georgino Wijnaldum’s contract situation
- Jurgen Klopp will rely on Fabinho more than anyone next season